1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's the ultimate illustration of "Couging it."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Thinks Leach should kick fumblers off the team.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing is - Wazzu has been bad for so long, they haven't had a chance to "Coug it" for a while. It might be a sign of progress.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, they certainly should have at least waited to snap it with at least 5 seconds left on the play clock instead of 20. Then they fumble right there but the call rightly was overturned. But to fumble AGAIN. Jeeze.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

IMO every team should have a 'Fake Victory' play where the QB takes the snap, turns his back on the LOS and then hands to the right side wingback who then hauls ass around end.

75% of the time the dude gets smeared as soon as he reaches the LOS, but 20% of the time the entire defense is clustered in the middle hoping for the miracle fumbled snap by the QB and the streaking wingback gets loose for a game-clinching first down (or more).

Of course, this strategy like all strategies is fucked if your running backs fumble two plays in a row. (That is included in the missing 5% in the equation above -- the 'bizarro scenario'.)

Of course if your time/down/opponents time-outs remaining situation is such you can run the clock out without having to gain even one yard, just down it from victory formation.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And officials would/should shut that down immediately. You can't deceive in high school and college. (NFL doesn't care if you run the Dan Marino play.)

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yes, we cannot have any situation which actually requires the opposing team to know the rules and to pay attention.

You would have to tell the officials, "We are going to make no motion to simulate a kneeling motion. Our QB is going to take the snap, stand there motionless for one second, then turn around and hand off the ball."

Of course, this would also work exactly ONCE for any team which tried it, because all opponents from that moment on would know, "when they line up in victory formation, pay attention because they might run a play -- if anybody moves, knock 'em down."

Why shouldn't the first team to be stupid/lazy/rule-ignorant to not figure that out ahead of time get to pay the price?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Zero references to the team playing. A headline and first paragraph so generic they don't even clarify the sport. Last name-only references to the coach, who is not the only Leach in the world. The expectation that anyone other than Washington State fans watch Washington State bowl games is absurd.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I thought this thread was going to be about chasing middle aged women

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

As did I.

10. freqposter

freqposter Active Member

As did I.

Damn.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Then I guess the first 10 people to post on this thread who knew exactly what it was about are clairvoyant and highly intelligent, since they had no problem discussing the topic whatsoever. Maybe college football does exist outside the state of Alabama, or outside the SEC, and that some people outside of the former Confederacy do watch college football.

Sorry to have wasted your time. You can be sure I will try harder to meet your exacting standards for message-board posting in the future.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Bowl game just ended and the result was so improbable that i actually came to the board to see if anyone was talking about it. The OP doesn't have apologize. He wrote about a sporting event happening that afternoon.

If you can't figure out "Coug" and "Leach", that's your problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted