1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"That's kinda gay."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Walter_Sobchak, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Announcer doing the NIU/Iowa game blurts out that gem when saying a receiver needs to catch the ball with his hands, not his shoulder pads, and caress the ball.

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2006/10/thats-kinda-gay.html

Any guesses as to when he'll be shown his pink slip?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That guy would be the perfect compliment to Lamar Thomas in the booth.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

And, one can hope that a meteor would hit the announcing booth shortly after kickoff.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not saying I agree with the statement, but people need to stop being so "offended" by everything.

Let's not forget that some of the best announcers ever like Harry Caray and Howard Cosell used to make comments all the time that would have almost certainly gotten them fired in today's pussified culture.

6. swenk

swenk Member

My 14 yr old son and his friends cannot get through a conversation without calling something/someone gay. Now I repeat the sentence back to them using the word 'homosexual' as in "Burger King is so homosexual!" "Geometry is so homosexual!" They think it's hilarious, which was not my intention, but it's something.

It's not going away...same as when we all got comfortable saying/hearing something 'sucks' or someone is 'pissed.' It's obviously far more offensive, with good reason.

But if you think about it--and why would you--how did that word become the definition of homosexuality?

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Agreed. I'm only offended by their lack of substance.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Looking at the name of this thread, the word 'kinda' actually offends me more...

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not trying to tell yo how to raise your kids, swenk, but instead of correcting him to say homosexual, why not explain to him why it's wrong to call something "gay" -- no matter how connected or disconnected with homosexuality the word really is -- when he really means silly or stupid?

You may already be doing that, but your post didn't say.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Wonder if Kinchen will make the same statement upon his firing or suspension.

11. swenk

swenk Member

It's okay, I WISH someone would tell me how to raise my kids, I am running out of ideas! ::)

I did that that the first 10,000 times, maybe more. I wasn't teaching them to say homosexual, I was pointing out that 'gay' is ludicrous word for what they mean. For a while I was fining them a buck per 'gay.' I'd interrrupt to say ' This conversation is officially over.' A couple of times I stopped the car in the middle of the road until they rephrased the sentence. But they're 14--they think everything is hilarious. They don't think they'll ever know anyone who is gay (except for teachers, they are ALL gay or pedophiles). They'll learn.

12. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I think "gay" is a perfectly cromulent word for expressing silliness or stupidity ...

Draft saved Draft deleted