1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That's hot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jul 21, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Heat index in my neck of the woods (DC area) should hit 110 degrees today, possibly 115 tomorrow, with humidity hovering between 60-70 percent. I read somewhere that in parts of the Midwest the LOW overnight temperatures haven't been dipping below 90.

What's it like where you are?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually cooled off to the high 80s the last few days after about a month of 90-plus.

I was at a Texas Rangers game two weeks ago where the temperature at first pitch was 105 ... at 7:05 p.m.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

At 11 last night in DC, the heat index was 95. At 11 at night. 95. The inventor of air conditioning is my favorite person ever.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Toronto is expecting a high of 37C (99F) with humidity of approx. 65%. The humidex is expected to hit 47C (118F).

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

DuPont created freon, so direct your thank-you cards their way.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I kind of think the "heat index" and the "wind chill factor" are bs.

It's always humid when it's hot -- at least where I live -- and it's always windy when it's cold.

So, 100 always feels the same and so does 10.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Barely made it to 100º in DFW yesterday. That's 20 days in a row, which is unusual, but still pretty much par for the course for us — the average high for this date is 97º, so we've been lucky here. We haven't gotten nearly the humidity the Midwest has, which makes it dangerous.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I thought this too until I moved to California. I can handle 100 degrees out here no problem. I go see family in Texas, and if it's 90 degrees I'm begging for mercy (or at least AC) after 15 minutes outside.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You and Rush.

Cleveland is forecasting its hottest day in 16 years. 97 degrees is the projected high (which would match the 1952 record), with the heat index projected between 105-115.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've spent some time in Phoenix, so a dry heat is different.

I guess it's when the local media hypes a heat index of 105, or whatever.

They tell us it feels like 105. Well, no, because if it was 105, it would feel even hotter.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To be honest I've never gotten beyond the "FUCK IT'S HOT" scale of heat index or the "JESUS CHRIST WHY WOULD ANYONE LIVE IN THIS" scale of wind chill.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I agree, when it gets to a certain point, hot is just plain hot.

Draft saved Draft deleted