1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That Patch concept? (Updated 9/23)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I freelanced for Patch a few weeks ago, covering some Fall Festival by taking 15-20 photos. That's Patch's thing: they want visual aids and not long, drawn out stories. I was asked to cover a high school football game, but not the normal way by interviews and game coverage; they wanted a slideshow of events. I would have done it if I wasn't already busy, but still...

I guess people don't care to read anything on Patch and it has changed the company's objectives in terms of coverage.

2. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

This would be a real shame. I know several good people who have gone to work for them. And as a suburbanite whose major metro (Washington Post) is absolutely clueless about anything outside the city limits, I rely on Patch for local news.

It's only stuck-up, lazy-ass newspaper dinosaurs who have a problem with Patch. Readers love it ... once they know about it.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yup, Patch is correct and everyone else is wrong. Which is why Patch is flourishing.

4. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

So what's flourishing?

And is it so wrong to think that in this day of low publication costs, I should root for SOMEONE to cover my county of a million people?

It astounds me on this board how people just root for everything to fail, thinking that'll somehow spell a return to the glory days of giant newspapers. The old days are gone, folks. Not every idea is a new one, but rooting for all of them to fail is rooting for journalism to fail.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Root?

Just because you like to fanboi out for some brand, doesn't meant the rest of us do.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Patch is in the process of hiring full-time assistant local editors in Minnesota and Florida.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Staying in business past next summer.

I guess you don't understand the difference between rooting and predicting.

8. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Read the whole thing. "Why do we root for things to fail?"

9. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I meant "what's flourishing?" in the sense of "Is anything actually flourishing?"

And I think plenty of people here have gone beyond predicting into rooting. Maybe they put money on it in Vegas?

10. TheSportsPredictor

You should say what you mean.

And yes, there are things flourishing.

11. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Such as?

(Maybe local TV morning shows, which I don't understand at all.)

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I just heard that Patch had let go off its sports editor in the Los Angeles. I remember, that I saw him at lots of High School football games.

Draft saved Draft deleted