1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That Good Thing You Read

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, May 28, 2020.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This is one of my favorite stories. I've read it multiple times.

The Last American Man

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Read this great piece in the New Yorker about James Baldwin and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

This paragraph jumped out at me:

"Baldwin was hardly naïve about the human capacity for evil, especially in white folk. “If you’re a Negro, you’re in the center of that peculiar affliction,” he said, “because anybody can touch you—when the sun goes down. You know, you’re the target of everybody’s fantasies.” But what shocked him was that white America had killed someone who espoused love, an apostle of nonviolence. King’s death revealed the depths of white America’s debasement and the scope of black America’s peril. “Perhaps even more than the death itself, the manner of his death has forced me into a judgment concerning human life and human beings which I have always been reluctant to make,” he wrote. “Incontestably, alas, most people are not, in action, worth very much; and yet, every human being is an unprecedented miracle. One tries to treat them as the miracles they are, while trying to protect oneself against the disasters they’ve become.”

There's so much to digest, so much good writing, this is something worth making time to read.

The History That James Baldwin Wanted America to See

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That Junod guy can write a bit.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted