1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If you covered a game today, how was it?
    Mine went two overtimes with the home team winning 31-28 and clinching a playoff berth.
    Until today, I never knew that in the second overtime series the team that did not have the choice to go first or second in the first overtime series had the choice.
    In this one, the visiting team went first in the first one, scored a touchdown and then the home team scored, both teams kicking the extra point.
    In the second series, the home team went first and after being stopped for no gain on firs down, being sacked for a 6-yard loss on second and gaining 10 on third, kicked a 23-yard field goal.
    The visiting team lost the ball on a fumble on its second series, ending the game.
    The kid who kicked the field goal also caught three touchdown passes and kicked four extra points.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It was over in an hour and 45 minutes.

And that's what I'm thankful for.

3. I didn't cover one today, never have covered a Thanksgiving football game. But I have spent the last four years covering a 9-mile running race on Thanksgiving morning. But after getting laid off from my previous gig in April, didn't have to cover anything today. I just get to put the paper together tonight.

But I'm always curious on Thanksgiving to see the Easton, Pa./Phillipsburg, N.J. score. I think today was like the 102nd or 103rd meeting between the two schools. And Easton then has to play a PIAA Playoff game on Saturday night against Parkland. Crazy stuff. But to the Rovers, beating Phillipsburg means more than winning a state title.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Covered the oldest high school game in the country and as usual, my alma mater got smoked.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Turkey Day high school football went away in Texas when the playoffs were expanded and the regular season had to be pushed back to August. When the playoffs were three rounds, most of the big schools played their rival on Thanksgiving Day to end the regular season, but by 1960 that tradition pretty much had died out by necessity.

Plus locally, it now conflicts with the Cowboys and A&M-Texas. The last Thanksgiving prep playoff game I know of (because I was there) was at Cedar Hill in 2001.

Draft saved Draft deleted