1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Idaho in a sweep.

BTW, Celina whooped that ass again last night, 41-0.

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

St. Francis. As a side note, Smith Center beat St. Francis 6-2 last year. Yup. 6-2

State championship games today at various venues across the state. Hutchinson and Smith Center are both going for their fourth consecutive titles, Hutch in 6A and SC in 2A.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Another day, another press box with no heater. Supposed to snow throughout my game today and I'm thinking this will probably be the first time it has ever snowed during a game for these kids.

Snow is really rare here and we are supposed to get up to 8 inches today and tonight. I hope it comes through because a snow bowl would be awesome.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when's the last time your hometown received 8 inches of snow ... like never?

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

The Division 3 championship game in Michigan just went five overtimes - the longest postseason game in state history.

East Grand Rapids and Orchard Lake St. Mary's both kicked field goals in OT 1, scored TDs with kicked extra points in OTs 2 and 3, and had TDs and 2-point conversions in OT 4. St. Mary's faked a kick on their conversion, and EGR matched it with a pass.

EGR scored another touchdown in the fifth overtime and kicked the extra point to go up 46-39, then broke up a fourth-down pass in the end zone to finally end it.

(Michigan's overtime rule is 1st-and-goal at the 10.)

Fantastic game - it just would have been nice if it hadn't come as the eighth game of the two-day marathon, ending at 11:05 on a Saturday night.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not confuse West Texas with my hometown please.

Anyway, snow held off until I was driving back, but the cold weather still affected both teams as they combined for nine turnovers in a 14-7 game.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what is your address? where is your home?

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I was also covering games in West Texas. The afternoon game was cold, windy and sort of misty, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The night game on the same field was another matter. The temperature didn't drop any (in fact, I think it may have gone up a bit because of the cloud cover), but it started snowing about an hour before kickoff. By game time, it was impossible to see the stripes on a FieldPlay artificial surface. I don't think this place had anything other than brooms to clean it off with because it just never snows that much around here.

The only time the officials did anything about it was right at the end, when the team trailing by five points with 15 seconds left lined up for an onside kick. They scraped off the 40 so they could see if the kicking team was offsides and they scraped off the 50 to make sure the ball went 10 yards.

We were just guessing on yardage and spots up in the pressbox. The wall on the far side of the field had signs every 10 yards and we'd guesstimate each play with the down box.

Almost then entire fourth quarter was played on the south end of the field. The north end, from the 35 to the end line, didn't have so much as a footprint. It was definitely a surreal experience.

If somebody can PM me how to post photos, I can show just how bad it was.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Amazing finish in the Minnesota state final today, Class 4A (Second highest class in MN). Totino-Grace is ahead 7-0 all game. With about 50 seconds left, Mahtomedi scores, and goes for 2. They get it. T-G gets it to midfield with 10 seconds. QB rolls right, fires on the sideline, ball is tipped...and T-G receiver is standing behind the play, catches it, runs down the sideline and flips into the end zone as time expires for a 13-8 game. Unreal. Haven't been able to find a video of it from any local newscasts, and it's not on youtube. You'll probably see it turn up nationally at some point. Sort of similar to the MN state hoops final two years ago when the kid made the shot from his ass at the buzzer to send it into ot, where they won. That one won an ESPY. Don't think this one will do that, but still incredible.

In the big schools, Eden PRairie crushed Cretin-Durham Hall (home of Steve Walsh, Chris Weinke, Joe Mauer), 50-21 in what was probably the most anticipated game in state finals history. Eden Prairie is coached by Mike Grant, Bud's kid. It was his sixth title. He played for legendary college coach John Gagliardi and uses many of Gagliardi's methods (no tackling in practice, etc.). His kid was the QB this year and ends his career with a 28-0 mark. C-DH supposedly had many more D1 players, but E-P's a machine.

10. friday was the first time a detroit public school won a state title. detroit king beat midland in the div. 2(?) final. they were the only school to have made a final, with their previous two occurring in the late 80s/early 90s.

never occurred to me a psl school never won it until yesterday. RACK any ray of light for detroit. enjoy the victory, guys.

11. The fact that there is a high school named Cretin-Durham and nobody here has yet asked whether Christian Laettner attended it makes me weep.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And Detroit's thug mayor tried to get on the field without a proper credential.

He got stopped by security and The Thug said, it's ok, I'm the mayor of Detroit.

Not sure if he actually did get on the field tho.

Draft saved Draft deleted