1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanksgiving high school football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Supposedly, defending big class state champ (Hutchinson) had an open date in their schedule nest year, as did Smith Center. Smith Center said they would go to Hutch and play them. 5A vs. 2A

Hutch declined, and schedules KC Rockhurst. Both teams are in the Top 20 in the country as far as their winning streaks.

I can see why Hutch did it, because it's a lose-lose deal. You win...hey....nice job....you beat a 2A team.....You lose.....hey....nice job.....A 2A team beat you in your house.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Jesus... texas is only in the second round? damn. State finals here in IL... i've got the early game tomorrow.. Class 1A. Mornings in Champaign... yeah!

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas will go until the Saturday before Christmas.

Needless to say, with baseball and softball starting in mid-February, basketball is an afterthought.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

NJ finals are next weekend Nov. 30-Dec. 2...
    8 games at Giants Stadium, 8 games at Rutgers Stadium

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

16 classes in New Jersey? Does every team get a trophy? That's a bit excessive.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, 20 champs because public schools only play to sectional final ... 4 groups (1,2,3,4) by size, 4 sections by geography(North 1, North 2, Central, South)...
    Private schools go to State finals in 4 groups based on size..

Total: 16 puiblic school sectional champs, 4 private school State champs.

The 4 South sectional finals are played at home field of higher seed

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Jesus, they need to find a way to make it simpler. That's an absurd amount of champions.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas awards 12 public-school championships (2 each in every class from 5A to six-man). Throw in six more for TAPPS (Divisions I-IV plus two six-man titles), the TCAL Divisions I and II and the SPC Divisions I and II (which includes some Oklahoma teams), and you have a lot of very rich trophy-shop owners. At least they all play to a state title.

(Actually I'm not sure about the SPC. I think they just play 11 games and call it a year.)

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The final was 28-24. The winning team earned a share of the league title, but lost out on the tiebreaker. It was only up 7-3 at halftime. There was actually more scoring in the nine-minute quarters than the 11-minute ones.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

how convoluted is all that

who came up with the idea of playoff games on a tuesday?

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They've been doing it in Massachusetts since 2001 and they've done it in Connecticut and Rhode Island since sometime in the last decade. With the Thanksgiving Day games as big as they are around here, it was the only way to have any sort of playoff to determine a true champion (though there are not state champions here, just East, Central and West). As it stands now, the playoffs already extend into the first week of practice for winter sports and between the winter sports and the weather in December, the season couldn't be extended any longer (or at least it shouldn't be)

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

no games today in my neck of the woods. there is one school out here that always plays on thanksgiving, but they got beat last week. i've got three games this weekend, though, including a six-man game.

Draft saved Draft deleted