1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks, Dick

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You DICK!

(If someone who knows how to post pictures happens to find one of Jeff Spicoli, I would appreciate it)

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

On my new replies to my topics list, the threads are are listed as follows:

Sports reporter to undergo sex change operation
    Thanks, Dick!

I giggled.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Dick will make you slap somebody: Dick, to be more specific.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The quote, I believe, came right after this:

[​IMG]

6. Don't shoot anyone in the face!
    Sorry, wrong Dick.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

I think there is a need for just one further cut. Does anyone know Lorena Bobbit's phone number? She'd know how to take care of Dick!

8. Hey, where's the guy who started the only and just thread?

"Only seven." This is a great example of when not to use only, as in ONLY seven were thrown out on their ass and forced to look for new jobs. Isn't that like half the staff?

Would've been much better to say that we unfortunately had to fire seven people. Seven too many but we will work harder to turn things around ... blah, blah blah. Whadda dick.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hey you're ripping my card

Yeah!

Hey bud, what's your problem?

No problem at all. (Steps forward with menace in his gaze) . . .I think you know where the front office is.

Awesome, Johnny. Tank yoo veddy mouch.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

So does this mean that he would go on a hiring spree if circulation and revenues plummeted?

11. Mooninite

Mooninite Member

Damn, after reading a note like that and reading all the stuff on these boards about layoffs and buyouts I feel pretty good about where I am at right now.

Actually, I work at a 22K family owned newspaper that actually has several other business interests a second smaller newspaper, radio, magazine, printing etc.

Our owner/publisher emails us with weekly happenings like circulation numbers compared to last year, what's going on in other departments which is great info to know. He also gives us a quarterly update and shares with us revenues, profit figures and where the profits are being spent. It's quite informative and makes us feel we have a stake in the success of the company.

He told us at the last meeting that other papers are holding down costs by cutting employees. But we are dealing with lower circulation and revenue by growing their other businesses tied to the paper. I don't think I can recall a position being cut in the 12 years I've been there. I've also never missed out on a Christmas bonus or a little extra something in our check when our staff wins writing awards. Maybe that's why there hasn't been any turnover in our 4-man sports staff since I've gotten there ... either that or we all suck.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

Yeah, it's probably that.

Draft saved Draft deleted