1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As usual when a late event happens, newsroom.ap absolutely spitting the bit as everyone tries to get UMBC-Virginia pics.

Spinning beachball of death ...

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Active Member

Fwiw, I did a few Florida football and basketball tournaments for AP back in the day...

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A quirk I noticed in AP football box scores:

Last night, Washington scores a touchdown. The PAT is blocked, and Washington State runs the ball back for two points. Yet those two points weren't mentioned in the box score.

Here's how AP reported it:
    WAS — H Bryant 22 pass from Fuller (kick failed). 20-7

the next scoring play was :
    WST — J Williams 1 run (pass failed). 20-15

How WSU scored the two points remained a mystery.

There should be a line that says something like, WST — Jones 2-point conversion return. 20-9.

Anyone have a reason behind this?

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

100 minutes of game time in the MLS Cup, and about 30 minutes since the end of game (as of 11:08), and all we have on the AP wire is 4 photos from 2 photographers, including 3 of Josef Martinez? Really?

By this point of the SEC championship at the very same stadium, there were upwards of 100 photos on the wire.

If this was a Falcons game, they'd already have a full page of cheerleader T&A pics.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

All together now: "I blame soccer."

HanSenSE and ChrisLong like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What did you expect when all the photographers came from North and South Carolina just to shoot the game?

spikechiquet and Batman like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Today's spring training glance shows the Mariners playing a split-squad game vs. San Francisco in Tokyo Monday morning our time. This might come as a shock to the soon-to-be-retired Bruce Bochy, having to fly a team across the Pacific for a split-squad game. Maybe, just maybe, it's the Yomiuri Giants, as listed on an earlier date in the same glance?

Oh, and, just a reminder. It the Nippon Ham Fighters, not the Nippon Ham Fighters.

Thus endeth this discussion of Japanese baseball until MLB again exports Opening Day.

spikechiquet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted