1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks a lot ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No, I genuinely thought that your "50" assertion didn't ring true.

And I do respect Coach K's accomplishment, and think it's newsworthy.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes. This was on when I woke up from that boring second half. I thought I had rolled over onto the remote during my sleep. Then OSU came back on to finish the whupping.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

btw, When the UConn women "broke" UCLA's "record" of consecutive victories, ESPN treated it like a major record had been broken. Gender didn't matter.

Since Pat Summitt has 1,071 career victories, why didn't ESPN wait until Coach K got 1,071?

All these phoney-baloney "records" and "milestones" are all a buncha bullshit.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you think we just shouldn't keep any stats or numbers? And I am impressed that you can pan laziness, perversity and achievement with equal aplomb.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If we can keep the Super Bowl to just one channel, how about we do the same for Coach K's phony baloney records?

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

What's women's basketball?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hate Duke with the fire of 1 million suns, but it doesn't really trouble me.

Putting on my journalist's hat for a moment, becoming the winningest coach in Division I history is a big story that merits cutting away from a game for the final seconds at least.

Putting my Maryland fanboi looser's hat on for a moment, I don't care if he becomes the all-time winningest coach of any four-year school in history, surpassing Don Meyer's 923 at any NCAA men's division or Harry Statham's 1,022 wins and counting at the NAIA level, or even if he passes Pat Summitt's 1,072 for any gender at any level, I still hate the fact that his smarmy-looking mug was assaulting my eyes at all.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No one in this thread has painted it as "anything other than newsworthy and unique." Those posting are lambasting ESPN for breaking into coverage of it on EVERY FREAKING CHANNEL THEY OWN. If they had broken in for the final 20 seconds or whatever, fine. But they had to show the post-game interview and everything between Coach K and Knight.

That's what people are talking about, and not trying to downplay the record ...

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

True, but the likes of Vitale and Packer (yes, I know he's retired, but the stench lingers on) have turned genuflecting at the altar of College Coach into such an art, I honestly feel it takes away from the game ... which is what I wanted to watch in the first place.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was going to put this on the journalism board, but of course that board's about journalism so...I'll just put it on this ESPN thread:

George Bodenheimer is, for all practical purposes, stepping down as head of the WWL in order to spend more time with his family. John Skipper has been named president.

Look for even more foolishness from the networks.

http://www.latimes.com/business/fi-ct-espn-20111123,0,3899704.story?track=rss

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They promoted the man who is shoving soccer down all of our throats.

Draft saved Draft deleted