1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you to my newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Not important anymore, May 30, 2008.

1. An ode to my soon-to-be former employer:

Thank you for eliminating our pensions.

Thank you for telling us we're going to be moving to another building in the next few months.

Thank you for not telling us where or when that new building will be.

Thank you for telling us that our mileage reimbursement is in line with everyone else. Especially since you lowered it two years ago.

Thank you for eliminating the jobs of all of the copy editors and designers and making them reapply for new ones at this paper and the sister paper.

Thank you for designing these jobs to pay 20 percent less than they do now, while colleagues at the sister paper are going to have some of their salaries double if they're hired back.

Thank you for telling people they would be done on April 30. Then May 30. Then June 15.

Thank you for still not making up your mind who will be rehired. I mean, you still have two weeks. Why not wait for the last day?

Thank you for eliminating all of the photo department jobs, too. They're all excited about reapplying for their current jobs for 20 percent less money.

Thank you for telling them they were eliminated back in January, but not telling them about the process until May.

Thank you for finally deciding that two photographers will lose their jobs in the process.

Thank you for announcing that in an Editor & Publisher story before telling the staff.

Thank you for eliminating the company cars for photographers and giving them a little stipend instead.

Thank you for eliminating the stipend.

Thank you for telling us there would be no more cuts, then cutting a key manager the next day.

Thank you for telling us again there would be no more cuts, then cutting a columnist the next day.

Really and truly, thank you for everything. It's been a swell year!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Eh, there's plenty of time for things to turn around. It's only May.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I wonder if this person has any symbolism to "NightOwl" who swore his hatred to his boss and newspaper earlier... ;)

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you're going to call your bosses assholes one day, I don't think you'd have a change of heart and do it under another name 24 hours later.

5. lono

lono Active Member

Foreman said these jobs are going, newb, and they ain't coming back.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dying to know what shop we're talking about here.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Logical, yet comical, it's interesting to note that this person just recently made this username for the sole purpose of creating this thread.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do you blame them?

To the starter of the thread. I'm sorry your paper has done this to you, it sucks. Hopefully better things happen to you in the future.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It all sounds quite Singleton-ish.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

My first thought was LANG, but I wasn't sure. It all seems rather par-for-the-course these days.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sonuvabitch!!

12. lono

lono Active Member

It was all for you, Tomas.

Draft saved Draft deleted