1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you letters?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Money007, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Don't call until like 3 weeks go by ... otherwise you're just rushing someone with a thousand other things on their plate ... if you haven't heard by then you probably didn't get the job and one last desperation stab won't hurt you, especially if they were just rejected by their first choice.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

short and sweet and don't write "try and sell myself"
    It's "try TO sell myself"

and is a conjunction
    to is a preposition

3. Money007

Money007 Guest

Obviously I did not watch School House Rocks enough.

"But I think three days is kind of money."

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe i'm the only SE who thinks thank-you notes from guys is gay. send me a fucking e-mail telling me how great the strippers are in the area and you're my guy.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, Tom, when I interview, I take off my wedding band, dress in leather pants and jacket, prance around the building and hum "YMCA" in hope they'll believe they are filling a quota by hiring me. Thank-you notes are just part of it.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Edit: Make that "perfumed thank-you notes."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A handwritten card is a nice touch... Nothing wrong with an email, but a card is more personal...

On a bad note, it could sit unopened on their desk for a month...

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My only concern about the handwritten and mailed note is the sheer length of time it can take to arrive---things sit in the mailroom, or the recipient is out of town or out of the office----while the other guy they interviewed sent the same words immediately via email. You can pick up email anywhere...not so for letters.

Agreed that the handwritten note is the 'proper' thing to do...but I think it depends on the situation. In a business where immediacy is a virtue, or the hiring process is going to move quickly, I'm okay with a well-written letter via email.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I've always sent an e-mail the minute I got back to the house. And to respond to your question about how soon should you contact the SE at a paper, I'd wait two weeks and then send a polite e-mail asking if they would share the progress of the hiring. DO. NOT. CALL.

10. Money007

Money007 Guest

Thanks to all that posted. It was informative and funny. Now a strange twist of events.

It turns out I didn't even need to worry about the thank yous because I was given the job two days after interviewing (I was the last one to interview and boy did I look sexy in my suit). Even if I had sent them the day after, they would have gotten there too late.

Perhaps, I should start a new thread (and I might), but this brings up a new question. I have never really had to negotiate salary. What is the most appropriate way to do it? Is there even a point to negotiating with the market the way it is?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you are the biker? i always had you pegged as the construction worker frank. :D

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

salary negotiations always come up on this board. at my place, we make a pretty fair offer and there usually is no wiggle room for negotiations.

Draft saved Draft deleted