1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you gifts from sources

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copperpot, Nov 21, 2011.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I wrote a column once about my first hole-in-one. The caveat was i made it playing by myself early one morning. The gist of the column was "crap, I finally make an ace and nobody was around to see it."
    A guy who owned a local gas station sent me a gift certificate for $10 worth of free gas. Said nobody should be that unlucky.
    yeah, i used it.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I got a rock!

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Man, that's my worst nightmare as a golfer. Great story though.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Here 'tis -- the guidelines I go by.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Stay away from homemade baked goods. The baker may be a smoker or someone who keeps a lot of pets.

That's the rule you need to follow.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was talking explicitly about regular sources, and I meant more on the news side than sports. I'm thinking that city council member who your paper endorsed and you wrote a feature on during the election who wins the spot and brings you some baked goods. Then, yeah, you should reject it if you're the city council reporter.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Red Robin over Chili's.lol

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A polite 'no' to everything.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Covering the Texas Rangers?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I got a bottle of Crown Royal one year when I was a NASCAR beat writer. I gave it to my dad for Christmas. Got the OK from my boss, first.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet it completely changed how you covered Crown Royal in the future. You did a big feature right afterwards didn't you? :D

12. Illino

Illino Member

I got free ice cream with my then-girl friend (now wife) from a place I wrote a new business story on – but it was after I quit that job.

Otherwise, a summer basketball shootout T-shirt that is too small and a general athletics T-shirt that is too big. Oh, and lots of team banquet food...haha

Draft saved Draft deleted