1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you for not smoking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 23, 2008.

1. nibs price

nibs price Member

Damn meddling liberals!

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Do I have to read the article to learn what the $500 million is supposed to do?

Because I'd rather smoke, instead.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

...but leave the women alone who look hot smoking. [/oldthread]

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Very true. Watched the movie again on DVD last week.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Health care workers are not exactly the best role models: more than half of all Chinese medical professionals smoke, and a 2004 government survey of 3,600 doctors found that 30 percent did not know that smoking could lead to heart disease and circulation problems. (Unlike cigarettes in much of the world, Chinese brands carry no health warning on labels, although that is scheduled to change in 2011.)

At wedding parties, the bride often passes out Double Happiness brand cigarettes to guests, a tradition meant to enhance her fertility. Mourners at Chinese funerals are generously plied with smokes, and a handful burned at the grave site is meant to satisfy the craving of the deceased.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/world/asia/23smoking.html?_r=1&ref=world&oref=slogin

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Shit ... people in this state got up in arms about not being able to smoke in public places, including bars.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Since when did the crumbs from a Twinkie hurt someone other than the person eating it?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tough love... For all of us... :D

9. markvid

markvid Guest

You'll have to pry the Ding Dong out of my cold, dead, artery-clogged hands.

:D

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Zingers are my downfall, but if the price went up another 25 cents I'd probably take a pass...

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to stop smoking for $1 million. First I have to start. So hold on, Bill.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Surely $500 million could be better spent. Smoking is a problem, sure, but it's also a choice. Spnited could lose a lung, half his heart (the live part) and eight fingers, and he's still going to smoke with his two remaining digits -- no matter how dumb he looks nuzzling the stick with his thumbs.

I'm sure he's not the only one.

Draft saved Draft deleted