1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you for being a friend, Sophia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Golden Girls was a lot better than most sitcoms. And she was the best part.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the best sitcoms of my lifetime. As someone else said, she was the best thing about it.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This makes me sad.

4. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, it does... Chef's "RIP Ma." was tough to read.

She's been in really bad shape for a long time and was at the top of most "Dead Pool" lists for this year, but after reading the headline of her obit, I was like "Oh man... That sucks..."

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's going to ask for your man card if you like Golden Girls.

I'd put it up there with I Love Lucy as one of the great comedies in TV history. I still love both shows.

And, yes, RIP, Sophia. Thanks for years of great comedy. She'll live on in the memories of millions of us, courtesy of reruns and YouTube.

6. Mizzougrad96

Fortunately, Bea Arthur and Betty White seem to be doing pretty well for their mid-80s.

7. No way is the man card in jeopardy. I get a lot of weird looks when I say I like watching the Golden Girls. I'm a 29-year-old Puerto Rican who used to watch the show with my Mom when I was younger. It was her favorite show and every time it came on, I watched. I enjoy watching it more now because so many jokes just went over my head when I was younger.

I watch Golden Girls every time it's on. I just can't help myself. RIP, Sophia.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'd sit on my grandfather's couch for years and years and watch that show. It will always remind me of my grandparents.

This is so sad.

"Blanche, you human mattress."

RIP Sophia, I hope Stan is driving you mad.

9. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sophia: In Sicily, we never went to the doctor. We went to the Widow Scarpelli. Whatever you had, she had a cure for it. She was most famous for her green salve to cure earaches. One day, she gave some to Salvadore, the village idiot. He misunderstood the directions and put in on his pasta instead.
    Dorothy: Well, I guess if you’re an idiot with a hearing problem, you do things like that.
    Sophia: Actually, it turned out ok. The stuff tasted great, so Salvadore decided to market it. At first, things didn’t go so well. Ear Salve on Pasta wasn’t very appetizing-but once he changed the name to pesto sauce, it sold like hot cakes!
    Dorothy: Ma, you’re making this up!
    Sophia: So what? I’m old, I’m supposed to be colorful.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Very sad. I remember getting all kinds of crap from my neighbors in the dorm when I was a freshman in college for watching Golden Girls. Estelle Getty alone was worth the grief.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

As was I.

Also, I'm not embarrassed to say I spent many of my college years skipping classes to watch the Golden Girls.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Rue rues this news.

Draft saved Draft deleted