1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you for being a friend, Sophia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 22, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

RIP Estelle Getty:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/22/AR2008072201420.html?hpid=moreheadlines

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was stunned that Bea Arthur and Betty White are actually older.

Sad...

RIP

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Many a good laugh from Ms. Getty. RIP

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, there's a Shady Pines in Heaven that will take care of her every want and need. RIP, Estelle.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

May the cotton swabs in heaven always be the name brand. RIP

6. swenk

swenk Member

Very sad, what a fascinating lady. I did a book with her about a thousand years ago, when Golden Girls was still a big deal and I was a rookie editor. No one could believe the cranky old Sophia was really a snappy agile redhead in her early 60s. She drove us all nuts (especially her writer, Steve Delsohn, now of ESPN, I believe) but the lady always got what she wanted.

In the final editing process, she decided to add a line about why there are so few women rabbis. "Because tallises don't have darts," she said, completely cracking herself up.

To me, it wasn't the greatest line in the world, so I took it out. The book was 80,000 words, she's not going to notice, right?

My phone rang at 6 am the day after she got her galleys. "Where's the line about the tallises?"

RIP, Estelle. This is the second time today I've gone digging for a dusty old book. No more bad news, please.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Whew ... the fluzy is still around.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think my man card is in jeopardy if I admit her perfectly-delivered one-liners still make me laugh when Golden Girls is on.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Picture it: Heaven, 2008...

RIP, Estelle. We forgive you for "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, Dyno.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

RIP, Ma.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Inky, everyone keeps their man and woman card. She was the only reason I would come inside and watch The Golden Girls on Saturday night. The way she bantered with Dorothy and Blanche, and hurling hilarious put-downs at Rose is television lore.

Estelle Getty made her mark in t.v. history by being the most beloved character on a show with three television mega-stars.

May Lifetime run a week of Golden Girls in her honor.

Draft saved Draft deleted