1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank you cards from athletes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Jun 29, 2009.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Treasure the moment, SouthernStyle. Moments like these are few and far between. They're reminders that we're writing about people, not commodities ... and, in some ways, that you're a person, too, and not a widget, regardless how the corporate bean counters see you.

2. bmm

bmm Member

I've received multiple thank you letters and invitations to graduation parties. The latter always makes me feel a bit uncomfortable so I usually make up an excuse as to why I can't attend.

It does make you feel appreciated.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I got a thank you letter from the owner of the indoor football team I covered and a thank you card from the SID for the Maryland women's basketball team. I also got a letter of praise from the then-CEO of Godless County's chamber of commerce after I did a story on a luncheon they had with the governor.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i did a 1st person feature several years ago about my mom's winning battle with pancreatic cancer that won an award and a "super fan" of the high school team that was my main coverage clipped the award story out of the paper, dressed it up and framed it as a thank you. the fan was an elderly man and while the "award" he gave me was obviously home-made and not the prettiest thing in the world, but it meant more to me than the real award i received for the original story.

aside from that, i've had numerous players and their parents seek me out, especially at graduation time, to thank me for the coverage i gave them during their high school days. but the one who acted most appreciative and kept in touch longest is the one who achieved the most success - he'll be entering his third season this year with the carolina panthers.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

I see a trend. The one (1) who sent me a thank you note ended up in the NFL.

6. highlander

highlander Member

Received thank you cards and letters from players, coaches, parents and fans over the years.

Somehow while I was talking to a coach one night after a game she said I didn't seem the same that night. I told her I was off because I had to put my 15 year old dog down. About two days later I got a nice little card with cute dogs on it. It was from the coach and said how sorry she was to hear about my loss. Still have that card, plus all the other thank you ones.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Every year I received Christmas cards from some of the drivers and teams I covered in NASCAR, IRL, NHRA. Mostly IndyCar drivers and teams. I don't know if other professional leagues or teams do this, but it was always nice to get so many good wishes during Christmas time.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

This is what I was thinking. That the person who sent you the thank you card has grown up into a thoughtful, caring person, despite his parents and community. I think it's refreshing.

9. partain

partain Member

My wife spent some time with U.S. Figure Skating and received a Christmas card along with a box of candy from Michelle Kwan every year while she was there. For the most part, she was always easy to deal with. Very different from many of the coaches and athletes in the sport.

I've gotten my share of cards and thank-you notes in recent years at a magazine. But I rarely got such affection when I was covering preps at a daily newspaper.

10. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

My dad was a line judge for 15 years. I used to make a little money running chains with his crew during my college years. There was this one game where a head coach was being more of a dick than usual, and he got tossed. Screamed, cussed, threw water coolers, equipment. I shit you not, after the game, the team captain walked up to us and apologized for his coach's behavior. That kid had class.

Through my years as a reporter, I've received two hand-written thank you cards. One from a coach who retired. One from a mother who liked a signing story I wrote on her daughter. I still have both. It reminds me that there are people out there who appreciate our work. These days, a small pat on the back gets you through.

(I'm still fucking ditching this industry first chance I get.)

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

One time a parent personally stopped in and delivered a bottle of orange pop, some pretzels and candy for covering her kid who was on the outskirts of the coverage area. I didn't ingest any of it though since I was dealing with some health issues at that time.

12. Sammi

Sammi Member

A high school athlete who's now a D-1 basketball player stopped by my place of work with a dozen Krispy Kremes as a thank you.

Also had dozens of e-mails and letters written when I lost my job at the end of last year. The one that stands out was a page and a-half handwritten note from the mother of two boys we had covered in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted