1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank goodness for salary caps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That's never been what a salary cap is about.
    The salary cap is about preventing one really, really rich team (like, say, the New York Yankees) from dominating the competition by outspending everyone else. Has a salary cap restricted player movement in the NFL? No. Has it promoted a balanced competition? Obviously.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That was pretty sweet how cjericho responded to a two month old comment like it was yesterday.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Working so great for the NFL that the owners have thrown the CBA out and are threatening a lockout next season.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Sure, TSP. They're trying to get rid of the salary cap. You go with that.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

New York Yankees: 1 world championship since 2000
    New England Patriots: 3 world championships since 2000

Franchises to win past nine World Series: 8
    Franchises to win past nine Super Bowls: 6

Years Marlins, Pirates and A's have lost money: 0

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NFL owners want to get rid of the current cap and impose a new one at with salaries cut about 50 percent.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because it is good for competitive balance!

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because they want their guaranteed profits to rise without having to try to be any good.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

First part of that is right. The second part is your delusions talking.

Seriously, show me the kind of proof there is of an NFL team not trying that there is for MLB teams like the Pirates and Marlins. I'm not talking about losing. Losing can be chalked up to incompetence. I'm talking about actually drafting players they know are inferior to save money. I'm talking about keeping the payroll so low that it is not even a quarter of what the big boys spend.

Oh wait, NFL teams can't do that last one. Because the NFL system is better and won't allow it.

10. LongTimeListener

Everything looks great with the Arizona Cardinals right now, but you're forgetting that Bill Bidwill has always been every bit the penny-pinching loser that the McClatchy family is. Just through the Google I found this Dan Wetzel column that explains it pretty well:

He supposedly docked players’ salary for team meals, refused to buy extra socks and rationed Gatorade. He’d do anything to save a buck. In a league built on spending, he saved. He had a near religious opposition to paying market price to retain free agents.

He was great at raising ticket prices though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-misfitbidwill012809

To a lesser degree, Georgia Frontiere could be considered Bidwill-like. I doubt anyone in Cincinnati would say Mike Brown has spent all he could to become a winner. There's some belief that Ralph Wilson is happy to cash those TV checks and keep getting richer while the Bills don't snifff the playoffs.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, where is the example of even one team passing on elite talent in the draft to take somebody cheaper? That's right. There is none.

Where is the $160-plus million gap in payroll? Oh right. That CAN'T happen in the NFL, because they have a floor with the cap, something baseball desperately needs and will likely never have.

12. LongTimeListener

oop, I should have remembered how agitated you get on this particular topic. But let me close my portion of the debate by saying that aside from the numbers I quoted up top, you might want to consider that in the past nine years, the 18 World Series bids have gone to 13 different franchises. And 21 teams -- two-thirds of the league -- have played in a league championship series. Those numbers say the financial structure does not create the caste system you believe it does.

And if a team that's making money every year chooses not to sign the best player, that is the fault of that team's dumbass owners, not the Yankees. The Twins were crying poor when they drafted Joe Mauer.

Draft saved Draft deleted