1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thamel to SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

All over Twiiter that he's leaving NYT for SI.

2. Mira

Mira Member

I thought SI recently had a bunch of layoffs? But if someone as solid as Thamel is looking to move, they're smart to scoop him up.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Really like his work.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I like The New York Times' sports section a lot, but Pete Thamel was its best reporter. He broke more major stories than the rest of the staff, combined.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Enjoy his work. I hope he has more success at SI than some of the other high-profile hires have had at SI lately...

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He seemed to be the primary Twitter hod-carrier for NYT sports. Hopefully, he'll be spared that burden at SI.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bad loss for Times. He was their college sports section.

The Times sports section has really fallen flat the past few months.

8. JPsT

JPsT Member

Nice move. SI's college football stuff is already really strong, and I think Thamel takes it to a new level. Now if Howard Beck would leave too, maybe I would get away with my 25 articles a month on the NYT site.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Gottlieb, Thamel ... apparently, some of the outlets are trying to beat the trade deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted