1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texts reveal teenager pressured her "boyfriend" to commit suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Sep 1, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Took my daughter (13) and one of her close church friends (14) to the Cowboys preseason game last Saturday. I had a SRO ticket, they had my seats. Mom was a bit worried, but I said it'd be fine. From where I stand (with that ticket) I can see them, and of course they had their phones with them.

So, on the way to the game they were in the back seat, giggling, etc. We get there and I say, "Make sure you have your phones so if I need to I can get in touch." Their reply was they'd all but exhausted the batteries making silly snap-chat pictures in the back seat.

That sound you heard was me sighing mid-facepalm.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I also think part of the problem is these cool gadgets make it easier for that generation to disconnect from the people they are actually communicating with on them. Instead of being actual people, they are a name on an account, a profile, a faceless entity that only exists in the digital realm. I have a hard time believing this girl would have said the same things to this guy face to face. But since it was only via text, and she didn't have to really see the struggle in his eyes, it was easier for her to play puppetmaster with him. He wasn't "real," so what she was encouraging him to do wasn't "real." Until it was.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Stoney likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a stacked competition. I don't even know who that would be.

We should do a Facebook poll.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, you see, that day at the beach never actually happened for them unless pics of it get made part of their facebook/online world for others to see. I think we've all seen similar scenes recently, it's like their true motive for going somewhere like a game or the beach is no longer to enjoy watching the game or swimming in the sea, but instead to record themselves doing those things. Nothing's worth doing unless it can somehow be incorporated into their social media world. It's a weird new societal trend that today's kids have grown up entirely immersed in, and I'm not sure where it leads.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is it tha
    I don't even mind taking a picture to have a memory of an event, especially when it comes to my kids. But it was non-stop. I saw my college crew a few weeks ago. We went golfing and I took about five pictures on a hole - all action shots. Then, at the bar that night, we took a group photo. One.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Saddest photo of the year:

[​IMG]

Nobody watches or soaks in history (or even a sunset). It MUST be recorded (as if 23,000,000 other similar recordings weren't available anyway). NO! MINE MUST BE THERE, TOO!

Sheeeesh.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Good lord, what a picture.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We went kayaking last weekend. Nearly everyone else we saw on the water spent the majority of their time snapping photos of themselves. When we were on our way back in to the docks, we waited while a group of people dropped in. It's a process that should take 2 minutes, tops. But they spent at least 5 minutes getting themselves arranged in their kayaks for picture time.

I'm all for taking pictures, but man. Those people were on a mission.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was going to bring that moment up, too. I noticed it while watching the race a second time. Someone called into talk radio here the other day and said that he had a "come to Jesus moment" when he was watching the Jake Arrieta no-hitter the other night and saw everyone viewing the last out through their phones.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you want to insult me, insult me. I do not speak for anyone else, nor am I posting at anyone else's behest.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This grumpy old man argument has been going on for as long as I remember, every time something new comes along. Rock and roll, television, video games, computers, the internet, and now social media. Every one was surely going to lead to the demise of our civilization.

amraeder likes this.
  12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

But it's real this time because I'm older and don't understand things.

Double Down and SnarkShark like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted