1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texting and driving documentary: "From One Second to the Next"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I do actually have a comment to make, mushmouth.
    I think not maintaining safe braking distances should be as serious an offense.
    Fine for mobile phone use should be extended to any public place, especially restaurants.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Great. Now give us the data showing the horrible dangers of using cell phones in a public place and it will be worth considering.

The bit about safe braking distances might not be practical, but at least it makes some sense. Too bad you buried it between name-calling and foolishness.

3. outofplace

What are Libertarians who are against laws that would save lives?

4. outofplace

Ah, so fart boy is a made-up scenario tough guy. Impressive.

5. outofplace

Make a first point that is relevant or sensible and I'll counter it. You brought up your thing about using cell phones in public. I asked you to demonstrate how it is dangerous, which is the reasoning behind the call for tougher laws against texting while driving. If you can't, it really isn't relevant to the discussion.

I'm not arguing against the braking distance thing, but you should offer more of a case for it if you're serious.

6. outofplace

Or maybe there will be little basis for further discussion. Sorry if that sailed over your head.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Old Tony did a sufficient job of exposing you for the fraud and intellectual featherweight that you visibly are.
    More effort than I am willing to spend on you at this point in time.
    You're not worth the gum off my shoe.

8. outofplace

You ask a question and don't want a response? Apparently, you chimed in for the sake of adding snark rather than improve the discussion.

There has been genuine discussion on this thread. Some people, and apparently you are joining them, are doing all they can to ruin it.

I'd love to hear real ideas about making roads safer and discussion actual pros and cons to different approaches to the issue of texting and driving. I don't think just relying on existing legislation works. Much of it was put in place before the issue of texting and driving became so widespread. Some was even in place before people were doing it at all.

This is relatively new issue, and as such needs to be re-examined. If you want to contribute to that discussion, that would be great. But if all you are going to do is complain about the level of discussion at the same time as you contribute to keeping it in the gutter, I don't see how your point makes sense.

9. outofplace

Do you always stalk people you think aren't worth the gum on your shoe?

Tony lobbed argumentative nonsense and lies about what the people he disagreed with are saying. That's all he did.

To be clear about the primary lie, tony repeatedly claimed that those of us calling for new and stronger legislation against texting while driving said that current legislation should not be enforced. That is simply not true. Not one of us said anything even close to that. Tony made it up, apparently because he realized how badly he was losing the argument.

I would love it if tony tried to have a legitimate discussion on this issue. Unlike you, at times on this site, he has demonstrated the ability to contribute some very coherent points. He just chooses not to.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Best thing you can do is just understand that this fuckwit has a sociopathic lust for the last word. If you continue to respond he'll continue to spew his cyber diarrhea all over the board.

11. outofplace

Quoted to show a shining example of the typical A_QB response to an on-topic post of substance that he doesn't like.

12. outofplace

So you just jumped back in to take personal pot shots, then whine about the quality of the discussion. Got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.