1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas wildfire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Sep 5, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Didn't see anything on this.

Two dead. 14,000 acres scorched. Nearly 500 -- :eek: :eek: :eek: -- homes destroyed. No end in sight.

And reading a couple of stories where they are short of firefighters and entire towns are in the fire's path.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/us/06wildfire.html

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It was interesting to watch the noon news today. Along with the local temperatures, the weather map showed fire markers for active local fires. I noticed several TV station websites across the state putting up similar maps on their websites.
    There's about 4,000 acres burning about nine miles from my house, and since Sunday there's been at least seven fires breakout within 30 miles of our office.
    I don't really feel in danger where I'm at. Have family that owns property in Bastrop County. No one has heard from them yet, but I think (or at least I'm hoping), it's because of power loss in that area. I don't think their property is near the main fire.
    And of course, there's still no rain in the forecast, while the east coast is getting hit again.
    I fully expect this winter that we're going to have massive snow. And we don't get snow (okay maybe 2 inches total in a four year period).
    That's actually going to be a big problem a lot of people aren't thinking about yet. These trees are so dry right now and many are dying out. Come the first hard freeze, tons of branches and trees may come tumbling down...that is if they don't all burn down first.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess the feds will have to come to Texas' rescue.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

FEMA is tapped out and any disaster relief for a governor who once publicly refused federal funds would have to be approved by ... the Tea Party House.

Irony is delicious.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Is that San Antonio or Austin? Or somewhere else?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Austin. Bastrop is just east of there.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thanks ... I just don't know those skylines all that well. Wow, that's some serious smoke action. A few years ago I and the family drove up to Colorado (through Amarillo and then the panhandle) for spring break. As we were going due west out of Dumas, there were some fires out that way that gave off smoke like that. Terribly frightening.

9. Inky_Wretch

There are a couple more like that here ...

http://boingboing.net/2011/09/06/texas-in-flames.html

10. Inky_Wretch

http://gizmodo.com/5838133/this-is-how-insanely-fast-the-texas-wildfires-are-spreading

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Wow.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Wow. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted