1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas / Texas Tech - Game On

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The money thing is also a huge deal. The bowls object to it, naturally, since a playoff would cheapen their games (as if having 30+ bowls doesn't do that already).

Plus, football isn't like other sports in terms of the number of games played. With a playoff, the title game teams will have played 15-16 games. That's a lot of pounding on 18-23 year-old bodies.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tech has always been able to score gobs of points. What makes them a threat is they finally have a decent defense. Not a great one, but good enough, with guys like Williams and McBath who can flat-out play.

This is going to be a fun game to watch, but I'd take the under.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The number of games doesn't seem to be an issue in the former I-AA.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's wasted in that offense. You can put 270 guys up front, because they just have to get in someone's way long enough for the receivers to overwhelm the linebackers and secondary. Harrell also gets rid of the ball really quickly and avoids getting hit.

The size of their line, though, is what makes Tech a bit different than a lot of spread teams that are frauds. Tech can dial up a running game if it absolutely needs to, and they mix it in a little. Most of the spread teams are putting up 50+ on bad teams early in the season and then the minute they play a team with a good enough D to stop it, they don't have the guns to grind it out in a smash-mouth game. Texas-Texas Tech should be a shoot out. Tech will make sure of it, because they can't play a defensive game against Texas and win. This game will have way more scoring than the Texas-Oklahoma State (another spread team) game. But Texas is one of the few teams that can get into a shoot out and win against Texas Tech. Last year, the total in this game went well over 100. Texas won. Most of the recent history is on Texas' side. It's another reason I'd lean toward them. I won't be surprised if Tech wins, though.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

any cool, funny or strange stories here about the metropolis of lubbock? LUBBOCK!

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How so - that line is the gold standard for spread offense offensive lines??

The fact that they are bigger means they can cover more area and use those wider splits. The zone blocking they use creates huge running lanes for the backs.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Not yet. But if my kid snags me some tixs to the game, I might have one or two for you.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

bad teams beating each other up. sounds fun.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Bingo. And thus the reason for my Big Ten disdain. The overall quality this year is awful, and what really irks me is that it's theortically possible to win the conference and avoid the second-best team.

As for the showdown in Lubbock, something tells me it's not going to be the uber-shootout it's shaping up to be. Just a hunch.

Texas 38, TT 31

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My stepfather has a few. Spent time at bases in rural Texas and New Mexico. Suffice it to say, he wasn't really thrilled with the area.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Who knew Penn State not playing Minnesota would rob the Big Ten of one of its better matchups this season?

12. This is Texas' last link in the chain of big-time games. I hope they can pull out one more.

It's gonna be close. Texas last lost in Lubbock in '02.

I'll say Texas 41, Tech 31.

Although I hope it's worse. Much worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted