1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas / Texas Tech - Game On

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Penn State is undefeated, the only way they get frozen out is if UT and Bama run the table.

If UT can run OU, Missouri, Okie State and Tech without a scratch, they deserve No. 1 even if they lose the B12 title game (losing to A&M or Baylor beforehand is an ender, of course).

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What does PSU beating Oregon State in 2008 have to do with Michigan and OSU getting waxed in bowls two years ago?

Matt pointed out that the year UM and OSU were "top two teams" and everyone was clamoring for a rematch that UF blasted OSU. I just added the fact that USC blasted the "other top team".

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think Tech will dominate the LOS. Their O line is better than either OU or OSU and they gave UT trouble. Tech has better run game this year.

A lot of the country has not really got to see Tech team since they have not been in any games of national interest. They will be surprised

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I do think Tech is much better than it has been the past couple of years and I think the Red Raiders defense is better than people think, but I just don't know if they can handle the pressure.

I hope they do, I just don't know.

A couple of years ago, Tech was supposed to be really good and led Texas 21-0, only to get curb-stomped.

I do think it could be a good game - if Tech can handle the pressure.

It's like my SE said: When Tech wasn't very good, it beat Texas all the time. Now that Leach has turned the program around, the Red Raiders lose in all kinds of ways to Texas.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Party! Now there's something Leach will like. I understand he's never met a drink he hasn't chugged.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Unless LSU figures out this whole "defense" concept, Bama can autopilot all the way to December. It's the SECCG that's the rub.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The ironic thing is, the NCAA has created the need for a playoff. For years, they've done things (like the scholarship limits and adding more TV games) that have allowed teams like Boise State to win on the national level, or conferences to have four or five teams on an equal footing. A Division I playoff should be the ultimate celebration of an ideal that's been years in the making.
    Instead, the NCAA continues to walk away from it like a deadbeat dad, for the sake of an "everybody gets a trophy" mentality with the bowl games. It's maddening.

8. Boom_70

Are you suggesting that Leach has strayed from the flock.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You could be right. I won't be surprised if either team wins. They are both very good teams. I have watched a couple of Texas Tech's games this year, mostly because they are fun to watch. And I agree with you, or whoever said it, Mike Leech is fun in an unpredictable kind of way. Two things make me lean toward Texas if I absolutely had to make a pick: 1) Texas' last three wins have been as impressive as any three-week stretch you can name. Handling Oklahoma and Missouri as easily as they did was impressive and they gutted it out against Oklahoma State, which is a very good team. 2) I watched replays of Texas Tech's two games in a row against Nebraska and Texas A&M. It showed how uneven they can be. They really struggled against Nebraska, and even though Nebraska is a little improved, they are not close to being an elite team. Then the next week, against Texas A&M, an even more mediocre team, Texas Tech didn't show up for the first half. They looked really flat and bad for half the game, and then suddenly turned it on in the third quarter. If they do that against Texas, there won't be any recovering.

10. Boom_70

Seems like that can happen to Spread O teams - a few droped passes or interception and you lose your momentum.

TT was pretty impressive though at KU homecoming.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

So do I...I'm working both Orange Bowl and BCS title game...if they make either one, it's like a wet dream for me.

:D

12. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

From the roxRAIDERSfan ...

Tech -- 56
    Texas -- 35

Guns up baby!

Draft saved Draft deleted