1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Passes Law Allowing Christmas At Schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

How very appropriate, given that the (public) park district in which I coach basketball every year has a theme for its (very secular) Christmas -- and this year it's pirates.

http://www.alsipparks.org/vw-systems/calendar/calendar.asp

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it is a religious holiday. People who are not religious may celebrate it, but it is still the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Celebrating it in public schools is promoting a holiday that is part of a particular faith. That is unacceptable and completely unfair to those who practice different faiths.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just curious, not trolling or trying to bait you into anything, but, for you, at what point does an individual (in a school, say) doing his/her faith thing cross the line?

4. outofplace

Tough call to make as a generalization, but anything organized or anything done by school staff is an issue to me.

5. doctorquant

When you say "done by school staff," do you mean an event done by faculty/staff? Or just any old member of the faculty/staff doing any outward signalling re: his/her faith? Like, let's say, a teacher wearing a very Christmasy sweater? Or Christmas-tree earrings? I'm not trying to bait you into anything ... if you don't want to answer, or you'd rather follow up in a pm, certainly fine by me. I am just curious.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

FWIW: If you do a Google Images search for Christmas, you get a ton of trees and Santa Claus and decorations. You gotta go quite a ways before you start seeing Jesus. At least on my search, the first image was a bunch of pages down, and it was a tattoo of Him and Santa.

7. outofplace

I'm more concerned with discussions in the classroom or giving out anything related to the holidays, something that the teacher or other staff member does that involves the students.

Honestly, I think it should all be kept out, but I know I have to be a bit more realistic than that.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Dude, the word "Christ," meaning "the Son of God," is in the name of the holiday. It's a religious holiday.

9. doctorquant

Fair enough, and thanks.

I'm sure I've mentioned this here at some point in the past, but in my high school in my sophomore year, they had "Religious Appreciation Week." We were on assembly schedule all five days, and for the assembly the "appreciation" involved listening to a local preacher do his thing. We had three Baptists, one non-denominational (but approaching-snake-handling Evangelical) and, to round things out and get a bit of diversity in there, we had a Presbyterian. Yep, covering all bases there!

I don't recall there being any outcry (this had been going on for years), but I know that was the last year. Maybe I was too busy lusting after that gorgeous brunette who was pushing two and a half bills by the time our 30-year reunion rolled around.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Google's war on Christmas!

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

You do realize that for Muslims, Jews and Christians, it's the same God, right?

12. outofplace

No, it isn't, certainly not in the way Starman meant the use of the word.

Draft saved Draft deleted