1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas idiot judge: Don't swat your kids on the behind!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005052/Judges-stern-words-mother-confessed-hitting-daughter-aged-two.html

OK so she's 2, and I'm concerned about red marks at the hospital...which meant they were on there for probably a half-hour at least. But the judge's words about spanking in general are alarming, especially when the AG's office has a clearer interpretation.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What a horrible judge. If only he would advocate hitting children.

3. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

This thread has potential.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

It's not off to a good start....pacifistic so far.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Geez. When I pulled this up I thought it was a joke. But then I found the video and hear the judge actually say it.

Longoria is an idiot. Some of these judges don't know where their jurisdiction ends, and too many judges are on a crusade to have their own personal views as the law, and not actually enforce or interpret the law.
    Regardless of anyone's moral stand on corporal punishment (I could argue today's "timeout parent" is doing as much mental damage to a child as a corporal punishment parent is physical damage, but that's a different thread), it's hard to defend the judges' action here in doing what he's paid to do.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

In respect to the pacifist start, I said the red marks on a 2 year old which would be on her buttocks at the hospital, for a 2-year-old, would concern me. Usually those from a slap would go away within minutes, if that...the kind of slap MOST PARENTS WHO SPANK would give their 2-year-old.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Forget whether or not you agree with corporal punishment. Spanking a child is not illegal, so it sure seems like the judge is enforcing a law that doesn't exist simply to force his own beliefs on parents. That should be a upsetting to any parent, even one that doesn't believe in corporal punishment of any kind.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'll spank my damn kid any time I damn well feel like it.
    And she'll be better off for it.
    I don't tolerate tantrums, showboating, throwing fits or any of the crap behavior that I think she's better than.
    She's doing fine so far, really. I love her to death and we have great times together every day.
    Stupid ideas by the judge in question.
    Ranks right up there with NBC omitting "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Damn!

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Story doesn't say there were red marks at the hospital, just that the grandmother saw red marks and took her to the hospital. Could have been gone by the time they got there.

I'm a pretty liberal guy, but the judge is an idiot. I spanked my kids and still would if it called for it. Haven't had to in a long time. I think that's part of why my kids have a clue how to behave when we're in public -- they knew when they were little that there were consequences if they got out of line. I see too many kids being told, "Don't do that," and the kids keep doing it, and you can tell they know they won't get in serious trouble for it.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Exactly ... and I haven't spanked mine but a few times in her lifetime but I am very stern with her on what is and what isn't acceptable. She's getting the message, it seems.
    Starting kindergarten here in a month or two and she's already doing lots of preparatory homework. Smart little cookie :)

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think it's a coincidence that our friends who refuse under any circumstances to spank their kids have just about the worst-behaved little shits you could imagine two otherwise good parents to have.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that goes a little far, too. It is and should be a choice each parent makes with their child. I think it can be very effective with some children, especially very young ones, but others not so much.

Personally, I think once a child is fully able to communicate verbally, it's time to stop using corporal punishment, but I'd never tell any other parent they have to do it that way. The courts sure as hell shouldn't be doing it unless the line is crossed into abuse (causing physical injury, even a relatively minor injury)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.