1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tested out a "new" interviewing technique today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If you were going to throw around after practice, wouldn't you wanna take your pads off?

2under- They did, but I ran into an issue with that last week, even though I sat down and interviewed two kids. I couldn't get them together, but it was about two RBs and how they go way back. RB 1 told me "Yea, we go way back. Our moms are best friends. Heck, we used to take baths together."

Especially for a high school athlete, it was a good quote. But I didn't want to try and embarrass anyone, I know how high school can be, so I called RB 2 and let him know about it to make sure he was OK with me running it. He cracked up, said it was hilarious and he had no problem with it.

At practice the other day, RB 1 said "Gee, thanks a lot. Out of all the things I said ... "

It wasn't the only thing from him I put in, but it was the best quote and it worked well with the story.

2. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

I bet reading some of your tab stories would be the journalistic equivalent of eating a sheet of notepad paper.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

"
    Exactly what popped into my head when I read that. What was the next line, "Aren't you sweaty? Take off your jock..."

Good interview tip though. It beats the mundane question-and-answer sesh.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Matt, I'm going to see if your technique works with the 49er cheerleaders. "C'mon, why not? It's hot."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Late to the party but this was fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted