1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terry Bradshaw steroid admission?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wheateater, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This Pittsburgh fan is.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While we're on the subject, where the fuck does the term "Yinzer" come from?

3. mastermind84

mastermind84 New Member

interesting development... altho this isnt new news, no?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

First of all, the stuff about Bonds is irrelevant. Mostly because the only person here insisting that Steelers fans think the accomplishments of Barry Bonds should be wiped from the record books is Zag, who hates Steelers fans.

I do not know a single Steelers fan who is dismissing the steroid use by the team in the '70s but insists on Bonds being erased from the game. Not one. I'm not saying they don't exist. But that contradiction is not nearly as common as you or Zag would like to believe.

The effectiveness of the cheating is also irrelevant. It is cheating. Period.

That said, your suggestion that knowing what play the other team is going to run doesn't help is beyond ridiculous. Players still have to execute, but knowing what the other team will do makes a very big difference.

And no, it is not fair to say that what Goodell uncovered "obviously wasn't important enough to warrant a full-blown year suspension for Belichick." It is in the league's best interest to minimize this as much as possible because it calls the fairness of the games into question. It is also possible that those tapes were far more incriminating than we will ever know, but the league protected its own interest by covering it up. The problem is we will never know and that creates suspicion.

I am not saying any cheating by the Steelers in the '70s is less important than cheating by the Patriots now. But it absolutely makes sense that the reaction is going to be far less drastic to something done 30 years ago by players whose careers are long over than something done last season by coaches who are still active.

I did have one thing wrong, which substance Harrison used. To me, it really doesn't matter which one it was, but I did have that fact incorrect in my post.

Bradshaw's position is irrelevant. He was one among many Hall of Famers on that team. It is still very old news that the Steelers of the '70s had steroids users on the team, another reason for the muted reaction.

And Belichick's claim about "misinterpreting" the rule is a joke. It is a joke because the NFL clarified the rule before the 2007 season. Coach Hoodie is a lot of things. Stupid is not one of them. Nobody with any sense believes that he misunderstood the rules.

The different attitudes regarding the use of performance-enhancing drugs in football and baseball goes beyond popularity. The NFL is far from bulletproof and there is no way Goodell could get away with supporting Michael Vick in any way.

But I do appreciate your willingness to discuss rather than take more potshots.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

People from certain parts of Pittsburgh use the word "yinz" the same way somebody from some parts of the South use "y'all." These people are referred to as yinzers.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I believe these people were found when someone flew a plane over their neighborhood a couple weeks ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted