1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terrorist executed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Oct 24, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Did anyone else catch that his wife had two different names in the story? At one point, she was Kathy. At another, she was Alice. I don't know if was a then-wife and a now-wife, but it confused me.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm Quaker. A lot of our teachings don't jibe with that of the Southern Baptists or Catholics. That doesn't make us any less Christian, just different.

Not all Christians believe the same things, outside of Jesus being the son of God.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Mormons believe Jesus came back again to South America if my memory serves me correctly. That's the only thing I remember from my Mormon friends growing up.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

To be fair, Junkie, it sounds like the guy was fairly involved with more mainstream religion before he finally went off the deep end.

Your point, however, is well taken.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Here's a deep, mystical question for theologians to ponder?

How the hell did Jim McMahon last four years at BYU?

And anyone ever notice that BYU quarterbacks never disappeared for two years to go on missions. Joseph Smith must have had an obscure verse in the Book of Mormon: "Throwing for 5,000 yards in one season glorifies God enough. You're excused from the mission to the Phillipines."

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He doesn't represent Christianity any more than Osama bin Laden represents Islam.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

One of my friends told me that men usually go on their missions before college and then attend BYU and that unmarried women go on their mission after college.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Totally agreed. Let's remember that next time we start making generalizations about either Christians or Muslims.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jim McMahon didn't last four years at BYU.

He lasted four seasons, and got the boot from the University as soon as his eligiblity was up, IIRC.

10. Actually lots of Protestant groups don't think Mormons are Christians.

A smaller number but in no way insignificant number of Protestant denominations also would argue that Catholics don't count as Christians either.

Not arguing this - just pointing out the facts.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes they do and often times other Christians hold them accountable.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly my point.

Draft saved Draft deleted