1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terror rant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SockPuppet, Aug 11, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

In all seriousness, Pastor, what do you suggest? I'm interested in hearing any solutions.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If I had the answer, I'd be Queen of the western hemisphere. Which might be nice, but not under these circumstances.

In no way would I advocate rounding up every human of Islamic origin.  But spare me any more pictures of Timothy McVeigh. The face of this mess is middle eastern, as long as those countries continue to harbor terrorists, they should pay the price.  We need to think the way Israel does: if you touch us, if you threaten us, you will pay.

Instead, we're throwing away our toothpaste.

If those planes had exploded, if thousands of people had died, the world would be screaming for retaliation and retribution. Why not now?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't have the answers.
    But watching 'The Daily Show' makes me think I'm informed and gives people the impression that I'm smart in a very hip way.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Again, you say "We need to do more. We aren't doing enough." Well, what is more?

You say the face of "this mess" is Middle Eastern. That is somewhat true (we'll ignore the airline shoe-bomber). So, you say "if you threaten us, you will pay." Since the 9/11 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia are we going there? Since many of these new people are from Pakistan, are we going there?

Who, exactly, is going to pay? How are they going to pay?

I presume you want to kill those terrorists that are forcing you to throw away your toothpaste. So, how do you want to do it? We know that dropping bombs on buildings doesn't work all that great since we're watching Israel do it and receive flak for hitting civilian buildings. Why not just cut out the part where we act as individuals with morals and just carpet bomb Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq (minus the Kurdish area) with nuclear weapons?

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're too busy bitching about having to stand in line and throw away their latte.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Retaliation or retribution against who, Great Britain? From what I read today, the majority of those arrested were British citizens. They did retaliate. They infiltrated the plot and arrested those responsible. What more could they do? That is how the civilized world deals with criminals. I suppose we could skip the trials and proceed right to the public hangings. But again, is that what you really want? Does that prove we're bad asses? Will it deter those who want to hurt us?

I agree that Israel has it right. But it's not analogous. If people started firing missiles at us from the Canadian border, we'd react pretty strongly, too--well, I am sure the Bush administration would. But with the terrorism we face, we are fighting a hidden, mostly faceless,, somewhat disguised enemy. You really think we haven't caught Bin Laden because we are pussies? Inept maybe, but afraid to act?

It's not like we are throwing away toothepaste instead of taking other measures. The two aren't mutually exclusive. They uncovered a plot to use ordinary containers to smuggle liquid explosives on a plane. Are you really suggesting that we shouldn't take precautions? They are doing something that most people consider kind of perfunctory.

Knee jerk reactions get you nowhere. if you were doing honest profiling of terrorists, you wouldn't carpet bomb Saudi Arabia or Pakistan. Based on the last few years, you'd be targeting second generation Westerners of middle eastern descent and recent converts to Islam. And even though we say we don't profile, do you really think the FBI isn't paying close attention to people who fit that description?

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Quick point of fact, 21 and Boom are the ones "bitching abouthaving to stand in line and throw away their latte." Although to be more specific, toothpaste.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

As usual Crass, you miss the point. I'm not bitching about the fucking toothpaste. I'm bitching that people are ONLY bitching about the fucking toothpaste.

I'm not five years old and I'm not a moron, so spare me the condescending bullshit.

Does it not infuriate you that all the news of the day is about inconvenience at airports, instead of the future of this country? I'm asking you this: Do you feel safe? Do you honestly think that because this plot was foiled, you're safe from another? That five years after 9/11, Iran is doodling with nuclear weapons and we're still thisclose to airline disasters?

And yes, I am willing to set aside our fabulous American 'morals' if it means finding an end to this national disaster.

Whatever it is we've been doing for the last five years, how's it working??

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I just had a long post about ready and it crashed on me.

So, to sum up: We're not fighting the war aggressively enough. We can't pander to criticism of countries and organizations (the U.N.) that don't have our best interests in mind. Bush is not a "cowboy" these days; the criticism and subsequent pandering has made him soft. We need to prosecute the war more effectively is we hope to cripple the insurgency and terrorists driving the civil unrest.

The war on terror is not one we can "win" in a traditional sense. This conflict will never end with a surrender or peace treaty. In fact, it will never end. I'm not sure that America in the 21st century, as fat and happy as it is, is willing to accept that and have the stomach to do what needs to be done.

Profiling is a must. There are law enforcement experts called profilers for a reason, Their job is to catch evil people; it's not to prevent people from being offended. In this sense, political correctness will only get us killed. And spare me the "roundup" talk. There is more to profiling than one's appearance. Although, aren't the British citizens "rounded up" in connection with the terror plot all of Muslim descent?

As to Ragu's post, it's true that Israel has no choice but to defend itself as aggressively as possible. And I think one of the reasons the U.S. hasn't changed much since 9/11 and doesn't seem to be willing to be more aggressive in Iraq is that the conflict has been thousands of miles from our shores for five years. Sadly, I think the only way America will come together and understand the extent of terrorism's threat is when we're stuck in the middle of it.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We can't sit back and wait for that to happen.
    Two words: pre-emptive strike

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay, but please think of the baby seals.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Can you attach a baby seal to a missile, or fire it from a rocket launcher?

Draft saved Draft deleted