1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terriers - FX TV show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NoOneLikesUs, Nov 9, 2010.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm fairly certain no one is watching this because the ratings are abysmal, but I think it just might be the first truly great TV show of the 2010s. I'd describe it as a modern day Sherlock Holmes, only set in Southern Cal and with two really down-and-out losers as Holmes and Watson. Donal Logue is incredible as an ex-cop and recovering alcoholic. Lots of good support roles too, but Donal's performances remind me a lot of Bryan Cranston's work in Breaking Bad. The show isn't strictly about cases either. A lot of time is spent on the disastrous personal relationships each of the main characters have. It heads into some really dark places regarding divorce, money troubles, mental illness, infidelity and addiction.

Not sure about the chances of it being renewed are, but if you get a chance to watch, do so.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

It's a great show and I highly recommend it as well.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I DVRd the first four or five episodes, but got way behind in my other shit and just deleted this one. I wasn't happy about it.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It was the most promo'd show since 'Amazing Grace.'

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I watch it; it's pretty good. Good acting. Sepinwall is big on it. But doesn't sound good for a Season 2 when the main actors have to do a cross-country tour to promote the show. The name might have been a problem, and you'd think Donal Logue would have known better after Knights of Prosperity.

6. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

Logue is great. I loved him in the Tao of Steve. Worth a rental if you've never seen it.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The name and Comcast-Fox dispute did them no favors. Hell, I only started watching it in the last few weeks via Internet download. I think they have to give it another shot. People will catch up in the offseason via download, Netflix streaming, DVDs, DVRs or reruns. It's a gamble the network should seriously consider.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Excellent show. Watch in on hulu because there's so much other stuff being DVR'd in my house during its timeslot.

9. Giggity

Giggity Member

I love Terriers. Maybe it's like The Office (circa not now): It's so good that different people love it for different reasons. But I wouldn't draw a Sherlock Holmes comparison, or a Cranston comparison. If I was going to draw comparisons, I'd bring up Big Lebowski, maybe the Hardy Boys. But it's its own thing - disgustingly good chemistry, episodes that can be beautifully light and incredibly dark, characters that I'm going to go into mourning for if they go away away after this season. Great great great show.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

My hands-down TV delight of 2010. Pretty much the only show I DVR in order to savor.

Sunny in Philly is a distant second.

11. lantaur

The last epsiode really was fantastic. Ratings better pick up though.

12. lantaur

Judging by the Twitter feed from one of the writers - Shawn Ryan - makes it seem like it is a longshot for Terriers to return.

Draft saved Draft deleted