1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terminator Salvation: Awful, awful movie...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 22, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Really, my only real problem with Terminator (besides only one major event in the plot's timeline actually happening) was that it was really, unnecessarily dark. It seems like just because The Dark Knight was so successful, every blockbuster movie since has to go all dark and depressing. I like the occasional film like that but I wish this one had more positivity. It made it seem like everything was bleak and there weren't any redeeming qualities about anyone in the flick.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am really hoping people start to see how much Christian Bale sucks.

He is the one thing that makes want to avoid Public Enemies.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Huh? He has one bad movie and Christian Bale sucks? Far from it, really. If you don't like him, fine, but to say this somehow now provides empirical evidence is foolish.

American Psycho, The Machinist, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma, Rescue Dawn, Harsh Times, even Laurel Canyon or A Midsummer Night's Dream ... and of course Batman, in which Bale's performances have been overrated -- but he still remains the best Batman on film.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yup. And from what I understand his performance doesn't really have anything to do with why Terminator sucks.

Damn, dude had a nice run in 06-07, didn't he? Rescue Dawn, Prestige and 3:10, consecutively.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I had forgotten Bale's performances in those other films.

Between Batman and Salvation, I had come to see him as a one-note actor. The "I'm so intense, I growl all my lines" guy. I wasn't really impressed.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Apparently, I'm the only one who was underwhelmed by his performance in Rescue Dawn. There's is something to his voice inflection on Salvation and Dark Knight sounding similar. I loved TDK and think it was a great movie DESPITE Bale's work as Batman (not Bruce Wayne). The voice just makes me cringe at times.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That is the same way I felt about him. I hated American Psycho and Rescue Dawn, like Some Guy said, I think he tries a little to hard to be intense.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Brett Ratner v. McG: Who sucks more? It wasn't until this weekend that I realized they were different guys.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

McG wins the suckiness award. Two awful Charlies Angels movies and this piece of crap? Ratner has at least made a couple good films...

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Rescue Dawn, or as I like to call it, The Most Boring POW Escape EVER. The Prestige, however, I consider Bale's finest work. Excellent movie.

I liked Terminator Salvation, although, it doesn't nearly reach the level of T1 or T2. It was miles better than the colossal piece of shit that was T3, though. B-, C+ sounds about right.

I thought the Arnold CGI stuff was pretty damn good, Mizzou.

Bottom line, though, Jim Cameron needs to stop trying to be Jacques Fucking Cousteau and get back to making movies like Aliens, T1 and T2, the Abyss and True Lies. Goddamn, the guy is good. Too bad he seems to have lost interest.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Um, lost interest? Dude is finishing up work on a movie most are saying is going to change the way films are made forever. That's not really losing interest.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hasn't directed a major motion picture since Titanic in 1997. Lost interest.

Upon looking at IMDB, I see he has two projects slated, one for the end of this year and one for 2011. Perhaps, he's getting it back. But still, 12 years is a long fucking hiatus.

Draft saved Draft deleted