1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Terminator Salvation: Awful, awful movie...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 22, 2009.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really didn't feel like I knew anything more than I did about the series going into it than I did leaving it.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I thought it was OK, except for that damn director of photography [/christianbale]

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't know what the problem is here. T4 is a good way to spend a couple of hours. It's not a great film, it's got it's flaws, but it's good enough for me to want more of the series, whereas T3 wasn't.

My only real gripe with the movie is.......(SPOILER BELOW)..........

If John Connor sent Kyle Reese back in time, shouldn't he have told Kyle Reese to, oh I don't know, maybe mention the Marcus character? Just a little reference. I mean, i know things changed but shouldn't Connor now know there will be a half human/half machine he should trust in the future?

(End of spoiler)

Apart from that, I'm OK with the direction this film took. Sure, not a whole hell of a lot happened in terms of the overall structure of the plot, but I think you guys are being negative about it because you went in with unrealistic expectations and the movie didn't meet them.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which was kind of disappointing in its own right. Not awful, but not as good as the first one. But hey, my little one had fun (at least after the Harry Potter trailer scared the crap out of her).

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Night at the Museum is really no more preposterous than A&D. I loved both, btw.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It was a pretty meh movie.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The seeds to this movie were laid when T3 went into massive turnaround and Cameron chose not to pursue it anymore.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

This bothers me more than it probably reasonably should, but it really does bother me. It's like the last two installments set out to crap all over everything that made T2 a damn good movie, in addition to a solid action picture.

Not that I need another reason not to see T4.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

T2 was a damn good movie, but without Judgment Day actually happening, none of the stuff in those movie can happen. It's called a paradox.

The only way that the events in the first two movies can happen is if, at some point, Skynet does f**k stuff up and John Connor does grow into the leader he's born to be.

Bitch about it all you want, but it's hard to deny the logic. If Connor never becomes a hero, he never sends Reese back in time, he never send Arnold back in T2 and Sarah never takes the steps she does to prevent Judgment day from happening.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would consider the first two Terminator movies to be two of the better action films of my lifetime. The first one just had a storyline that was so good, you forgot how cheap the special effects were.

The second one was cheesy at points, but visually was one of the coolest movies I've ever seen.

The third one was meh. The fourth one was worse.

Also, what was the deal with the fake Arnold? Couldn't they have found an Arnold that at least resembled Arnold in 1984 or 1991? That looked like Arnold straight out of the Conan movies or maybe even earlier.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Two words: Alternate timelines.

It's working for Star Trek. It could have and probably would have worked better here.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Onion's AV Club gave it a B-, that sounds about right. Critic at the Wall Street Journal, while not assigning a letter grade, gave a positive, just not a glowing review.
    I'll probably go see it a some point. Maybe a matinee, but I don't think I'll drop the $9.25 the local megaplex is now charging.

Draft saved Draft deleted