1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teri Garr on Letterman 6/19

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Anybody see it?

It was kind of like seeing a couple of old friends at a class reunion. She's been affected by MS and a brain aneurysm, but she walked onto the stage and stepped up to the guest chair, even though it was a struggle. She was still funny and sassy, but now she and Dave are both past 60, so it's obviously a different dynamic. It was kind of poignant, actually.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Oh God.... Mr. Mom.... Tootsie... she was hot-meets-funny 30 years ago.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had no idea she was sick... That sucks. I was such a fan of hers.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That was tough to watch. I read her book about six months ago. She's been through a lot and has tons of interesting stories to tell that I would have never imagined, including how she and a friend became buddies with the Beatles.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Rats. She has always struck me as one of the all-time good gals. I wish her well.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

She was a spectacular second-tier actress who often stole the show from the star. Like in some of those movies where the supporting actresses are better looking than the headliner.
    I knew of the MS (Annette Funnicello has it, too), didn't know about the aneurysm. It was really tough to see her last night but it's a blessing to see her brain still works quite well.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Anyone find online video from last night? I missed the episode.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Teri Garr is one of my favorites, a fellow MS sufferer, though hers sounds a lot worse than mine at this point.

And you're forgetting one of her greatest movies .. Young Frankenstein. Loved the scene near the beginning when Gene Wilder is carrying her out of the carriage and she's practically hanging out of her blouse but he's looking at the huge door of the castle and says, "What knockers," which leads Teri to say, "Thank you."

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

AMEN, my fellow ms sufferer. garr's accented words were actually, "sank you!" ;D ;D ;D

and yes, i do not have to have seen her last night to be able to acknowledge, "i'd hit it."

great, great talent. 8) 8) 8)

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I thought that was the funniest scene in movie history when it came out. Of course, I was about 10. But it still makes me laugh.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Video here -- she looks fine to me, but you don't see her walking.

http://defamer.com/5018446/dave-and-teri-a-love-story

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Add my brother to the list of MS sufferers, but his is really bad. He's confined to a wheelchair at age 37 and has many other problems MS-related.

From Young Frankenstein in addition to that scene her "roll in the hay" line and song were classic too.

Draft saved Draft deleted