1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Te'o saga ... where does it play?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 17, 2013.

1. So where and will you play the Te'o stories?

I (no longer work in sports) am ashamed to say our paper had NO mention of the story. Was it on the wire last night? I noticed today there are 35, 47-inch stories.

In fairness our SE was off and the ASE is out sick and the guy (who thinks he runs the show) knows absolutely dick about sports, outside of racing.

2. Re: Manti saga ... where does it play?

We are in Indiana, so that makes the decision a bit different, but we had stuff on 1A, sports and online only stories. But outside of Indiana, I would have to think it is more 1A. This is way more than just a sports story at this point.

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Re: Manti saga ... where does it play?

It ran below the fold on 1A in the Dallas Morning News.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, it was on the wire. And unless you have an all-local fronts rule, it should have been on your sports front at a minimum.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yup, on our sports front, above the fold, opposite our main local story. And I'll run the columns that I know are coming in the next few days. It's funny, because some people think this is a strange story, but ho-hum. Not me. I think it's pretty serious, and could be quite damaging to his NFL draft status.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How big is your paper and what kind of community does it serve?

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

100K+ circ. We ran it on the top of sports, above the centerpiece with a teaser on the top of A1 as well.
    We combined wire stories since we felt the AP story was too PRish and slanted toward Notre Dame's claim that he was the victim. We used the Chicago Tribune's lead, but the webdesk ran just the AP story.
    I'm sure our columnist will chime in this week.
    Notre Dame is a team we "cover" in a sense that we always run preview and gamers off the wire. Years ago, we used to have a beat writer for them, but have scaled back in the last 10-20 years on coverage....so this is "regional news" for us.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I put it on our sports front, mostly because it was kind of a slow local day. The way it blew up during the evening kind of dictated that anyway, though.

9. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Sports Editor wanted to bury it deep, convinced him to play it up, went on page 2 of sports. BCS was on page 2. (We're from Canada, eh)

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Four of the biggest newspapers to run it on A1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

PM, 10K circ. Had it in right rail first sports page next to Wednesday night hoops package.

12. A major daily in the state. Big enough to that it should have appeared in the sports pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted