1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Marty Baron Made The Post Great Again. Now, the News Is Changing.

When I asked, repeatedly, for an interview with Mr. Baron, The Post’s spokeswoman, Kris Coratti, instead sent me 4,000 words of excerpts from his many speeches about journalism. The speeches reflected his sophisticated articulation of the importance of open-minded, rigorous and brave journalism. But the speech excerpts didn’t include the credo that stuck with me from a recent memo written by Mr. Baron.

“The Post is more than a collection of individuals who wish to express themselves,” Mr. Baron wrote. “The reputation of The Post must prevail over any one individual’s desire for expression.”

This principle reflects Mr. Baron’s frequently expressed frustration that his reporters’ tweets could undermine The Post’s journalism. It sometimes seems that Mr. Baron is standing athwart Twitter yelling, “Stop!” and nobody’s listening.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I suppose the Times is one of the few places that would do this story anymore, but it coming from the Times also should be considered. There always has been a rivalry there.

Severian and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That the immersive 1st Person, Social Media, Web Log generation is now old enough to hold these jobs is the battle Marty Baron - and every other editor - is fighting.

Writing without a point of view is counter-intuitive to them, and the third-person authorial 'view from nowhere' is considered with suspicion.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Writing without the correct idenitity politics, at any rate.

The POV tends to recycle the same “so, yeah, you may not have known this so let me educate you” tone and talking points. The “explainer.”

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Standing athwart ... that writer felt as confident as Costanza did using anathema.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

it's a borrow from William F Buckley

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So not even original either.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Azrael likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Any newsroom in any media I have ever observed has been a hotbed of bitching and personal feuds. Didn't mean the people there didn't like their jobs, just the way journalists are built. But it's not a good idea to take one's bitches public. Arguments with your boss are the place for that.

wicked likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, it was ostensibly about his tweet, but the reason Sally Buzbee was involved and felt like she had to do something was that Sonmez blew it up publicly, as @Michael_ Gee said.

There is a bit of backstory too.

Felicia Sonmez was suspended by the WaPo after Kobe Bryant died, because she tweeted a link to a story about the rape allegations against him and it caused a shitstorm.

At the time, Weigel was one of the people who stood up for her, and they reversed the suspension, and Weigel tweeted welcoming her back. So you'd think she could have dealt with him in a non-public way, given that it's clear he knew he screwed up and wanted to make good, and he had stood up for her in the past.

The backstory is why some of their colleagues ripped into her for taking it to the Internet to rally a mob against Weigel, rather than handling it more compassionately.

My take is that everyone needs to just chill. When Sonmez got upset, he deleted the tweet and apologized. You'd hope he learned a lesson, everyone would move on, and hopefully he'd know what is acceptable now and not tweet a joke like that again.

But she escalated things, mobilizing an internet mob against him rather than trying to deal with it internally. And when another colleage told her she could have challenged Weigel with compassion rather than rallying the Internet against him, she got more upset and escalated it even more, which is why it's something we're talking about today.

This is the culture of 2022, unfortunately. Whoever is the the most outraged gets the most attention, and if you screw up the way he did, you go straight to jail, do not pass go.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted