1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennis: US Open 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Anyone else have been tuning in thus far?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

[crickets]

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Watched some of the Federer exhibition last night. Boy, has Donald Young gone from phenom to flop. At one point, he was the next Great American.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm going this weekend, so I'll be watching then (if not before).

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I love the tournament but have to say it does not get exciting usually until the Qtrs.

BTW, someone lent me "High Strung" about the peak of tennis at 1980; fascinating read about Borg, McEnroe, Connors, Vitas.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

To a degree he was afforded the Next Great American status, and got a ton of wild cards because of it, but it was a LONG time ago that most of us realized that he didn't have the size or savvy or all-around game to be a Top 20 regular. Now he's lost 17 straight matches.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

John Isner is the next great American men's player.

Women? What ever happened to Melanie Oudin?

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Love the guy but that's pretty sad when he's the great hope. The guy is 6'10" with a huge serve, and hits a two-hander while playing behind the baseline. He's #9 and that's fantastic, but damn he should be chipping and charging and serve and volleying. I want him to be Roscoe Tanner, not Borg.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, tennis was more fun when you had some real serve and volley players. Last great one was Sampras, I guess. Maybe the modern racket technology has made that impossible.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Actually, he snapped that 17-match streak a week ago at the Winston-Salem tournament ... so he's 19 of 20 now ...

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stat of the night.

Winners
    Sharapova 30
    Dominguez Lino 0

A professional player can't hit one winner in two sets?

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Andy Roddick just called impromptu press conference in which he has announced he is retiring after the US Open.

Draft saved Draft deleted