1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee bans Knoxville reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Just to have it straight, Jack "False Start" McElroy is the News "Go Vols" Sentinel editor, not the sports editor.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

And a couple of more things after actually reading the article. Jack McElroy, you are a pussy. Additionally, why is the exectuive sports editor reporting this story? This is now a news side story and should be thoroughly covered as such. There should be follow-up with Painter, the UT AD, the UT president's office, the SE at the paper. Is anyone at KNS news department on this? Big story, here.

3. Mira

Mira Member

Oops. Sorry about messing up the editor's title, left coast. I'm sure he's being called worse right this moment.

There are bunches of execs and higher ups at our paper who have season tickets to football and men's hoops and they probably hob-knob with a bunch of execs and higher ups at the university. Maybe Jack does too and felt he had to maintain that relationship. It's still crap.

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

The answer to your question is no. The reporter could buy a ticket and sit in the stands like everyone else. But there's no Constitutional right to attend the game for free and sit in the press box.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Remember, the credentials are doled out by the university. As far as access to public institutions, being a member of the press really doesn't mean anything legally other than that you are a citizen who happens to work for a newspaper. Otherwise they would have to let anyone in the press box, interview rooms, etc.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

busuncle:

I agree it would be difficult to argue in court, but the fact that Tennessee is a publicly-funded school does put the First Amendment a little more in play, in my view.

Public funds went into funding that stadium. Public money keeps the university going.

This is something that hasn't been challenged in court yet -- and maybe it never will be challenged. But you can't just throw up your hands with, "Whatever the school says."

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They devoted 2 1/2 pages to detail a lavish birthday party for a 15-year-old, complete with photos of her being carried around like royalty by shirtless guys?

Hey, where do they send the Pullet Surprise?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So he's more like Melinda Gorham of the Huntsville Times then...in more ways than one, apparently.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The only thing is, UT is banning a reporter and not the entire paper.

If you get the right judge, maybe you have a chance, but are there any judges in Knox County that graduated from Alabama?

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

FH: Good point, but I can't think about the practicality of a legal case like this at the moment... I have to think about the concepts first. How could it be argued?

That's your interpretation of the law, and I disagree.

Freedom of the press is spelled out in the First Amendment. Why would "the press" be named specifically if news organizations weren't meant to have special protections?

And why do we have so many First Amendment-haters on this site?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I love the First Amendment, but it doesn't say that I am entitled to go places where regular citizens are not allowed to go without explicit permission.

If journalists had absolute freedom to practice their craft, then the government would not be able to classify information.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

From the Devil's advocate point-of-view I can see UT's position.
    First the facts. "Inky" Johnson was the player who had the horrible injury late in the Air Force game. It was reported then it was very severe and Johnson eventually went to the Mayo Clinic to be examined.
    My understanding was that it was one of those kinds of injuries that could have led to amputation. UT rallied behind Johnson and also Justin Harrell, who was also injured in the Air Force game, but not for the season since he came back to play against Florida before having season-ending surgery. Those "92-29" logos on the hats are a tribute to them, since those are their jesey numbers.
    But what it means is that UT is very sensitve about the whole situation. I'd imagine that they said Johnson was off-limits and the SID staff wasn't granting media requests.
    In that case, I can see how their heads would have exploded when they picked up the paper in the morning and saw a story on Johnson with quotes and all.
    So in that case, wouldn't an "off-limits" be the same as an embargo or a hold for release? You don't have to honor it, but you'd have to know that their might be consequences if you break it.

Draft saved Draft deleted