1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee bans Knoxville reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 11, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If they haven't got CPF yet, they never will...
    But this is a bullshit move that you'd expect from Bama or Florida.
    And you'd like to think the other reporters would band together to catch his back, but their editors would never allow it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. Go through them first. If they refuse, tough for them. They created the situation. If the kid wants to talk, talk to him.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One more idea. At every enormous state university of my acquaintance, there are distinguished faculty members who hate the athletic department and all its works. I'd start talking to them a lot, too.

Riddick got to the point. You can't work for a paper where your editors don't have your back. More to the point, you can't READ a paper like that. Every sentient citizen in Knoxville, and I'm sure there are more than a few, now knows their daily paper's on the record with a proud lack of integrity.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I propose that from now on every journalist in a competitive beat, when scooped by another news organization, explains to the bosses that he/she would have had the story first, but didn't want to "get whistled for a false start."

That is outstanding.

5. oldhack

oldhack Member

And the kind of town where the newspaper's website is called "Govols."

Any newspaper that submits to that kind of control by an athletic department or by any other public relations agency is no longer credible. Period. The dirty little secret, looks like, is that newspapers and broadcast outlets in the UTenn orbit have been cowering before the school's athletic department for years.

I'd like to hear from those with more experience: Is this normal? What do you do about it?

6. oldhack

oldhack Member

Cute, but retaliation puts you in the same mosh pit as the athletic department.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Considering this is a Scripps paper, I'm really surprised that shit took place. The Scripps papers are usually pretty good with their coverage, so to see Knox drop the ball like this is insane.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never, ever be surprised at anything Scripps does or doesn't do... trust me.

9. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I lived in Knoxville for six months and had some dealings with the paper. They are nice people there... but every media outlet in that town is full of homers. The fact that the SE would throw his reporter under the bus is a shame.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Was just going to type that, oldhack. Any paper that allows the URL www.govols.com to lead to the sports page, is definitely a homer rag.

Here's the section I find most troubling:

If his colleagues weren't attempting the same, then they're nothing but a bunch of UT lemmings.

Also, will UT repremand/suspend/fire the employee that helped Hooker get the story?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn. I'm madder than Luggie!

Beyond the spineless SE's quotes, the whole story was written as if the reporter did something wrong. Hell, he should be praised and UT should be villified for being petty martinets.

The basis of your "accepted guidelines," Orange People, is so that you can control news and keep whiny reporters who get beat from bugging you.

Well, tough crap. We don't have to play that game. An SE with guts would send Hooker right back or instruct each replacement to interview a kid without going through the SID.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Isn't this a problem with many college-town papers? I remember at IU having to deal with Bob Knight's No. 1 fan, Bob Hammel, at the Bloomington paper. Hammel actually was a talented reporter and editor, but he blew his reputation by becoming so close to Knight. But it was very clear the readership favored Knight over hard-hitting journalism. That makes it very easy for the hometown paper to kowtow. Not right, but easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted