1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessee bans Knoxville reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It could have been worded more strongly, but at least it's something. Keep covering the story, news side.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i guess jack's original quote was a 'false start'

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So if you catch a kid for a post-game interview inside/outside the locker room out of earshot of a UT rep, is that ambushing them?
    In other words, if a player falls in the forest and no one else from UT hears it, does it make a whining sound?

And why the hell are they leaving this at the AD's doorstep. He's not going to change his mind because he wants to save face. If they go to the school prez, he can say he was ordered to, the paper can get its way and everyone saves face (such as it would be).

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

That was a much better response by the KNS. This could get interesting with the way they singled out the competition.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but who among us hasn't interviewed a Jim Bob Cooter at length following a court appearance?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why news side? Are you saying you don't believe anyone in sports is worthy or capable of covering this?

7. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Nice blog from the editor. Nothing like trying to throw the competition under the bus, especially when this competition regularly abuses Knoxville. Classy.

8. E&P weighs in. Includes quote from Dodd about the credential thing...

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003252625

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet if they tried, they could make that story a little more stilted and boring.

10. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

My only problem with the E&P story was how much time was devoted to letting UT bash the paper for giving a media credential to a fan, only to find out that it absolutely was a legitimate credentialing of a fan if it was for the purpose that the newspaper stated.

Having a fan write an occasional piece, especially one who has been asked by the school to pipe down at football games, is perfectly acceptable.

11. Uh, you didn't, and you don't. What a bunch of two-faced, spineless candyasses.

And waah, it's not fair that the internet guy gets better access. (Actually, it's not. But if this has been going on for a while, I'd expect that the KNS should have complained long before now.)

Isn't the guy who gets "special privileges" the one who got "suspended" for bowl week?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That was one of my problems. The other was whether any organizations had any reaction to whether UT was going overboard in denying a credential to a New Sentinel writer. It was a littany of Knoxville's "transgressions" but didn't really deal with how the school may have been heavy handed.

Draft saved Draft deleted