1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

My sympathies to Dave. I don't care what you call it but you need someone to be in charge of the sports section. Sports editor ....... team leader .... director of sports content. .... If they want to re-purpose people into newer, lower-paying jobs or more web jobs or whatever, that's fine, but don't pretend it's some new concept.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I just keep thinking how confusing it's going to be for someone who calls those shops wanting to post an engagement announcement. There are going to be two dozen people in the newsroom with "engagement" in their titles, none of whom do that.

3. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Cincinnati also going through the same thing

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, I've seen several small weeklies started in areas where corporate publishers have pulled back. They are mostly pro-ams, but they are print, distributed at commercial establishments and seem to have a solid advertising base. I'm not saying this is great for professional journos (unless you are looking at starting one up in your hometown), but local print is still viable. The key seems to be identifying the audience you are shooting for.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The new era at the Tennessean began with Kroger fellatio.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2014/08/07/why-did-the-tennessean-run-a-front-page-story-about-krogers-lower-prices#readerComments

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

" it seemed to say something poor about a business, which we shouldn’t and wouldn’t do about any businesses from a Tennessean account.""

So if a business on one of their accounts broke the law, they wouldn't report it? Shocking!

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I was rather surprised by that tweet when I first saw it. The big issue here, of course, is twits and not tweets.

My British friends would take that phrasing a step further, of course.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You are a pair of twits! T-W-I-T-S, twiiiiiiits!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My wife freelances for some suburban weeklies in our area. They are absolutely packed with ads. I'm amazed every time I pick one up.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Our suburban weeklies are now inserted with the Sunday paper and they maintain a pretty good page count.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And why not? You target your best local audience at a fraction of the price.
    What does a full-page or half-page color ad cost in a suburban weekly?

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

C'mon, now. Wasn't Twerk Master Jay the big news of the day?

[​IMG]

MASTER OF THE MOVE! ... TWERKING OUT!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted