1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Wow. Why would anyone want to work there? Jobs are Jobs I guess. But ugh.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It would have been terrific if someone, when asked if they were all-in on the new changes and said that they weren't and were only there for the paycheck.

Plus, her response on why so many people have left is Baghdad Bob-ish in its ridiculousness.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Can someone in Nashville with deep pockets buy this paper? Anyone?

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I love her response, via Romenesko, vehemently denying they are needing to call in temps to get the paper out.

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/10/14/tennessean-editor-were-using-reporters-from-other-gannett-/papers-during-restructuring

Her quote of "We are leaning on our sister Gannett publications to send us a few reporters to help out while some of our new hires relocate to Nashville." was followed shortly by "I do want to be clear that we are not using any temps."

She needs to check her dictionary on the definition of the word "temp"

She probably thinks she can point to the moon, tell people it's made of cheese and have them believe her. If anyone above her in Gannett had half a brain or gave half a shit, they would tell her to STFU because she's looking like a brain-dead sack of shit who is driving her ship right into the rocky shoreline.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's complicated.
    Current developments are pounding the value of the newspaper property itself.
    However, the property the newspaper sits on is much more valuable - and rising in value every day.
    That's why Gannett is demanding a premium way above projected earnings for any sale.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Regarding Stephanie Murray...if you click the link above, you'll see that hers is the first Facebook post in the comment section. Odd. Almost as odd as her picture.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

What's the point of commenting there? Her positive crap? Goodwill? To get the comments rolling? I hate when media comments on their own stuff anyway, but that just seems a little unnecessary all around.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The new "engagement editor" makes a really good first impression, by saying she doesn't like news that makes her "sick to her stomach".

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/11/04/meet-the-tennesseans-new-engagement-editor/

She won't like stories about the Titans' quarterback situation.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

One commenter nailed it:

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I could agree with the first part. Who enjoys covering a murder-suicide or a trial for a coach who molested his players? The other parts? Not such a good impression.

11. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

"Choose between an array of lesser-paying jobs and unemployment."

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

For folks who have kept their jobs, there have been relatively few pay cuts from what I've seen around the company unless jobs are drastically different. Obviously, salaried to hourly is the exception.

Draft saved Draft deleted