1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten feet of snow in upstate New York

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Where I live, we've been getting hammered by the same weather system that brings us lake effect snow off the Great Lakes.

While we've had probably four or five feet worth of the white shit in the past eight days or so, that's nothing compared to the poor folks who live in Oswego County, N.Y. Most communities there have received in the neighbourhood of 100 inches but there are at least two where the snow accumulation has topped 120 inches.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17063535/

Even worse, they're expecting another two to four feet of snow this weekend, driven by 25-mph winds.

Hang in there, Oswego. We're thinking of you.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it makes you feel any better, they closed schools here Friday for a coating of ice that melted by 8 a.m....

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Glad that stuff has moved out of here and back there. Getting close to no snow on the ground here despite the above-normal amounts we've been getting since just before Christmas.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

My kids haven't been to school since Jan. 31. Calgon, take me away!! :-\

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Good Lord. I'd have to go hide in a snow cave.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Buffalo gets the pub, Oswego gets a ton more snow than that place.
    Amazing thing about lake-effect snow is that if you're outside the snow band, you're not getting much of anything.
    I would stay away of I-81 north of Syracuse from Dec to March.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think Mexico, N.Y. has gotten more snow in the last week than Mexico the country gets in a year.

We're supposed to get our first big snowstorm in years early next week. If the storm moves north, it could hit the megaopolis. Then it'll be a story worth covering.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

How's that global warming thing going?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Lake effect snow proves global warming is a sham. Man, to live such a simple life.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, maybe that, combined with the fact that more than 20 hurricanes were predicted for last summer and we got, what, two?
    And global warming is not a sham. The earth is getting warmer. There's no disputing that. However, there are just as many experts and scientists contending that:
    1. It's part of cyclical climate patterns that are eons in duration.
    2. We've had industrial emissions for so short a time, relative to all of known history, that there's no way of proving it's the most significant reason for global warming.
    3. Those who assign most of the blame to the U.S. and demand that the U.S. shoulder most of the burden of correcting the problem (as if that was possible) have a motive: they want to weaken our standing among developed nations.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's true that the world has been getting warmer for at least the last 10,000 or so years, since the end of the most recent major Ice Age.

But it's pretty clear that global warming, whether caused by natural or environmental factors or both, is in fact the reason why we are getting these types of snow storms. If it had been consistently colder before now, the Great Lakes would have been well on their way to freezing over. With little or no moisture available to be picked up by Arctic weather systems, we wouldn't be getting lake effect snow right now.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Broadwell's bar in Oswego probably doing land-office business.

Draft saved Draft deleted