1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temporary computer profile

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Dec 20, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've never had this happen, so to have had it happen the past three times I've logged in has me a little perplexed.

Picked up a new laptop at the office on my way out of town. Windows 7, etc. Tried it out, everything loaded, awesome. Get here to Kentucky, no problems.

Until last night, when I logged on and left the room. When I came back, none of my Word files were on my desktop and all my bookmarks were gone. I was worried, but restarted and it was fine.

This morning, I log on...same problem. Only this time i get the pop-up telling me it's a temporary profile, I'll lose everything I do on this session, etc. I log out, log back in...same thing.

So...is it something I did? Or is there a way to make it work so I can, you know, DO SOME WORK?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The laptop is probably set up to save your docs and bookmarks to a profile stored on the Windows server at your work. I'd get a USB drive to save your docs for now, or use Google Docs.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd call the office, tell them you can't do any work and then get drunk.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I had that happen once. I did a Windows update and restarted. When it logged back on, it was the temporary profile (with that same message). I rebooted again and it was fine.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Can't you call work and get some tech support person to try to help you?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had already e-mailed. :)

The IT girl had me VPN in, and then she tried to mess with it. I just had to set up a separate profile, copy my old desktop and put it on this one. She'll look at it when I get back to town next week.

I'm going to try to VPN in later (we struggled to get it to work this time) later today. If it doesn't work, looks like I'll be going home before Christmas so I can work Christmas Day and the 26th in the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted