1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple, TX opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BujuBanton, Jul 1, 2007.

1. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

The award-winning sports department of the Temple Daily Telegram, a 25,000-circulation newspaper in Central Texas, is seeking a skilled, enthusiastic writer to complete our full-time staff of five. Job responsibilities for the selected candidate will be covering area high schools and/or colleges, designing pages and editing local and wire copy. Candidates should have strong knowledge of sports and experience in newspaper writing/reporting. Design/editing experience is preferred but not required. We take pride in our coverage of Temple, Belton and 23 other area high schools, Temple College and the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton. We also cover the CenTex Barracudas indoor football team and regularly staff Big 12 Conference football games. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume with references, and at least five writing clips to Telegram sports editor Greg Wille by mail (Temple Daily Telegram, Attn. Sports Department, P.O. Box 6114, Temple, TX, 76503) or e-mail (gwille@temple-telegram.com). For more information, call (254) 778-4444 ext. 220 after 2:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday

Anyone know about this paper? Seems bush league from the website, but they have two local colleges to cover. Sounds better than Abilene, closer to civilization at least.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Isn't this paper owned by the same people that own Killeen? I may be mistaken. But, if it is, I'd stay away based on what I've heard about Killeen and its ownership.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It is the same ownership, but the problem in Killeen is management. Both papers are pretty much independent of each other, and the Killeen managemenet has been in shambles for a couple of years now.
    Temple's website is probably among the worst in the industry, but the paper itself is fine. Recent design change and lots of local coverage (you will have plenty of clip building opportunities).
    They had an opening not too long back. Not sure if this means they are still looking or if it's a new one.

4. bevo

bevo Member

Yes, Temple and Killeen both have the same owner. The owner is also editor and publisher of both papers, but both have managing editors who actually run the day-to-day operations. She is actually the widow of papers' founder, who died around 20 years ago. The man was in his 80s. I dont' know if the woman is in her 60s as of today. Huge age difference. Make of that what you will.

Both papers have huge turnover rates. But that's what you would expect from 20,000 circ. papers in Hank Hill country. Temple must have recently started turning things around, from what I hear. There's a fairly new managing editor, I think. The former ME passed away sometime last year. He had been there forever and was probably holding that paper back.

Killeen used to be much, much better than Temple. But that was four or five years ago now. Sounds much worse today.

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Ok, so not really sure on the paper's quality. How about the town in general? Seems ok since Austin and Dallas are pretty close by for the weekend get away. Any backwards laws like bars close at 12?

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Used to have a buddy that worked there about 3 years ago. We once went to a bar after he got off and stayed there until after 2, so unless that's changed, pretty normal. As I recall we were able to walk to this bar from his office too, and it was fairly decent place.
    Otherwise, its a fairly quiet town, not a lot happening there, but you can get to Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio all within 2.5 hours (Austin is only about 30 minutes). And actually when I drove through it last month on vacation, seemed to be a lot of construction going on, so maybe there's more happening.

7. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

The only way this job would work is if you figured out a way to live in Austin and commute to Temple for work. But as the last guy said, construction is always terrible on I-35 around there. It's taken me 30 minutes to get from Georgetown to Temple before.

8. Zabka

Zabka Member

I worked at this shop a moon or two ago and I can assure you Austin is not 30 minutes from there, more like 60 to 75.

Any questions, feel free to PM.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Ehh, I was going about 110 MPH at the time. But yeah, you're right, more like an hour. I think I was just assuming Georgetown or what have you.

10. bevo

bevo Member

Yeah, good luck commuting from Austin to Temple on $10 an hour.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Yeah, did the Austin to Temple drive today. It took about an hour, 10 minutes, and that was with Saturday afternoon traffic coming out of Austin.
    On another note, every police officer in Temple apparently eats at the Chick-Fil-A off I-35.

12. Why in the world would anybody be leaving Austin? Take my advice, turn around and stay -- there's nothing out there in the rest of Texas worth a trip. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted