1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telling friends they could lose a few pounds?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Really? I would definitely bring it up to my wife. And have. And she's done the same for me. We have that kind of relationship.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hey ... wait a sec ... I think I get it ...

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's no need to elaborate. The irony flew over your head like a bird.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm going to punch you in the shaft and shave an inch off the tip.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As someone who has been fat almost all of my adult life, we know. Trust me.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't cut off...um...whatever to spite your ...um...whatever.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Wholeheartedly agree.

When my long-distance girlfriend put on about 30 pounds in a year (something I have understood and empathized with), I kept my trap shut except for: buying her a gym pass only after she said she wished she could afford one, telling her about the hikes I wanted to do with her when she visited and offering praise when she would talk about a recent workout. It took several months for her to get active again. It was a rough patch, and I definitely wanted to be blunt once in a while. But she's now taking pride in getting healthy for herself, and not spoiling that was worth biting my lip.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And chin up, CB; I have a feeling weight loss is just around the corner for you.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Would you want a friend lecturing you about the cost of a custom-tailored shirts and more appropriate ways to handle money?

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Speaking as a fat person who spent years denying my weight gain, it took the kind words of a friend who pulled me aside and said they were worried about me before I got off my (fat) ass and started taking better care of myself. This friend was probably the 20th person who said something to me but I finally wanted to fix the problem.

But it doesn't always work because the person who you are talking to has to want to make a change. It is the same with people who smoke. . . they know they should stop and have probably been told that by many people but they just aren't motivated to do something about it.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Again: Yes.

That is the kind of relationship we have with this couple. Nothing's off limits. We bat just about anything around. That's why this is even a feasible possibility. Tried to make that clear. Guess I might have not succeeded.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm with HC.

Technically, and I'm stretching the word techincally here, I'm in the normal weight range for my height. But everytime I go to try on clothes I'm reminded that I need to drop a good 15 pounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted