1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me that Calvin Tillie deserves to live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 18, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me.

There are about 1000 different arguments going on these threads so I will only address a couple.

If there's a 10% error rate in capital cases, I am guessing there is a 10% error rate in life in prison. Neither bother me much. I wish it was better, but it is what it is. If we are "going to play God" by snuffing out a convicted murder's life via execution, I think think "we are playing god" by putting him in shackles for the rest of his life and in a 6x6 cell. This is just my opinion, but the state is "playing God" in both cases.

As far as the "state sanctioned murder" argument, I said yesterday that we the people kill plenty of persons. Pre-term fetuses thru federally funded abortions (which I support 100%); soldiers in war time, civilians in war time (lord knows how many Germans and Japanese citizens our b-29 bombers killed). It isn't like the execution of prisoners is the only time we the people are snuffing other people out.

I completely understand why people are against executions. I just don't buy the "playing god" argument and the "the government shouldn't ever kill a person, because it's on all our hands" argument.

2. There's no such thing as a "federally funded abortion."
    Please google "Hyde amendment."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Life in prison can be corrected. A person can be exonerated. It happens.

The other way, not so much.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hundreds? Are you sure about that number?

Edit: Now that I've seen the studies cited by others, I'll concede the hundreds part.

But that doesn't change my pro-death penalty stance in the least.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Look at jgmacg's links.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I will rely on your expertise in the matter. Stricken.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Glad you don't mind having innocent blood on your hands. Bugs the hell out of me.

8. me too

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Didn't see the other groups you linked at first. Some of the names from that link are also on the Innocence Project's list, though. Others on other lists are 50 or 100 years old, before DNA evidence was available to exonerate them. Their cases are unfortunate, but what could have been done to prevent them?
    And from browsing the IP's list, there were common threads among several cases. Like in Illinois, the group of crooked cops. Or in Oklahoma, the crooked forensics expert. That can make it seem like a more widespread problem than it is.

What all of this boils down to, as much as a moral opposition to the death penalty, is whether or not you have faith in the justice system. If you do, and believe it works in the end — even if it takes years, as in some of these cases — then it's easier to believe in capital punishment as a just punishment.
    If you don't have faith in the justice system, then I ask why are we all just plugging along in this thing we call polite society? If I'm going to be screwed by the system anyway, why shouldn't I just go out and do heinous things?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A rather interesting way of putting the onus on me, but I'll accept it. Just remember that life is replete of these kinds of moral contradictions. I'm not at all ashamed of who I am or in what I believe, even if it doesn't always jibe with the views of others.

11. "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

From Matthew 5:38-45

I'm not trying to force this as the only right view on the subject, but just as a perspective from the biblical aspect. I've had people try to argue with me for hours because I don't support the death penalty, and they ask me how I could think such when I'm a "Christian."

In my world and from my perspective, based on biblical teachings (straight from Christ Himself), no human should decide whether or not another deserves to live or not. It shouldn't be in my or anyone else's control.

And I'm not saying that a person should be forgiven and set loose after murdering someone. Absolutely not. But, in my perspective, life without parole and then facing judgment from the Almighty Himself is punishment enough.

12. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I sleep just fine, aside from the normal job-related interruptions.

Draft saved Draft deleted