1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me something that's good about being single

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 2, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So wait, she'll skip something she wants to watch to fuck you? Congratulations! I'd definitely choose certain TV shows over sex. :D

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Never been married, never lived with someone, really never missed it. Being single allows me to do a lot of things that married people have more difficulty doing. Makes life more flexible. I am able to give away a lot more of my income to help others since I don't need to commit it to a family.

I will never understand those who simply MUST be with someone. Being alone ain't that lonely.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

And, depending on how far away you are, if you want.

Of course, I'm fairly antisocial, so I might not be the best person to ask.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What are the virgins' takes on this debate?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I for one am glad I'm single. My last relationship was a wallet drain. Damn bitch had no money and was always trying to spend mine.

Well, I have been single for a long time now. My last relationship was the wrong gender AND she really was a wallet drain. The spending was all one way.

On a more serious note, I'm so used to being single now that the prospect of having to compromise for a significant other is somewhat frightening to me. I'm so used to doing things my way that the prospect of having to call someone else and check in with him is not one I'm necessarily fond of.

Then again, it would be nice to come home to someone and not have to feel like I'm trying to learn how to have game.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I'm single. I've been single for four years. The best part of being single is living alone. If it's basketball season and I've covered seven doubleheaders in eight days and I'm fucking tired and it's messy, there's no one there who is going to nag me about it. There's no one to tell me what I can and cannot have for dinner. If I come home from a hellish day and I want to sit on my couch in complete and utter silence and stare at the wall for an hour until my brain stops spasming, I don't have someone who wants to sit on the couch next to me and interrupt my silence. I'm one of those people who doesn't eat unless she's hungry, so if I go 36 hours between meals, I don't have someone trying to shove food down my throat either.

I attempted to explain the virtues of living by yourself to several cousins, who have been married and all have at least one child, if not three or four. One of them threatened to punch me in the face. Hey, it's your decision to be married. And yes, I wouldn't mind having someone other than my cat to come home to, so unless you can scrounge up someone to set me up with (the ever-dreaded set-up and one of the worst part of being a singleton), please stop inviting me to your parties where I am the ONLY unmarried person there. It's like I'm being ganged up on.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Worst. Thing. EVAR.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That would suck. I never want to be "that" person who forces that on others.

Incidentally, my wife just left the couch to go sew while I follow Penn State's game. So we don't have that problem. ;D

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Cougars.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm seeing a very nice person with more money than I'll ever have and picks up half the checks. But sometimes, I would simply like to not have that obligation, to either drive up there (we live 40 minutes apart) or arrange my schedule when she drives down here.

This is a function of curmudgeodom, and frankly, I often think ALL of being single would be nice in terms of doing what I want when I want (or not), but every time I'm in that position, I immediately try again to get into the other position. So who the hell knows?

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Just FYI, I'm gonna rip off some variation of "My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus," and pass it off as my own.

Just fucking brilliant.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Winner.

Draft saved Draft deleted