1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell me something that's good about being single

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 2, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's been so long, I think I've forgotten.

And I'm talking about some things a little more substantial than "being able to leave the toilet seat up."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What I miss most is not having to run my plans by somebody else. Even things like staying late at work or going to a game with a friend who calls or playing a round of golf.

The tradeoff is, of course, well worth it.

I also think it would be so bizarre now to have a conversation with a woman as a single person.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Not having to deal with another person's moods. And to piggyback on what Dick said, being able to do what you want when you want.

4. Dick Whitman

Divorce or break-up?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The hookers. So my friends tell me.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Your time is your own. Also, most every decision you make can be based on what is best for YOU, not what is best for someone else (or, sometimes, what is best to keep the arguing to a minimum). You are never freer to act in your own self-interest than you are when you are single.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fuck that. I never, ever, ever want to be single again. That would blow. I'm too old for that shit. I'll do whatever it takes to keep my marriage going.

8. Dick Whitman

I guess what I mean is, like, it would be bizarre to have a conversation with a woman and not have any real lines I have to stay within. (Except in, for example, a professional setting or something like that). If I were ever single again - and I won't be - it would probably take me a year or more before I could ask a woman out without feeling like I was doing something wrong.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If that's the way you're living a relationship, you're far better off being single.

10. Dick Whitman

My brother got divorced a few years ago. He has a blast now. He has a girlfriend he's with a lot, but I don't know if he'll ever get married again because he loves being able to spend his own money and do his own thing. Some people just aren't the marrying type, and it's clear a lot of times that he doesn't really "get it," if that makes sense. For example, there's a Sunday that we're going to a NASCAR race coming up. Well, he wanted me to go to the PGA Tour event nearby the day before. I said, "I don't think I can really do two things on one weekend like that." His text response: "Man up." He just can't fathom that someone would WANT to spend time with his family. To him, wives and children are just there to hold you back from what you really want to be doing.

At the same time, he constantly pines for his ex-wife.

Divorce is weird.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Dick Whitman

Whenever someone I know has dating drama going on, I am so glad to be married it hurts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Liberating is a good way to put it, MC.

Being a single man in your neck of the woods sucks, though. Women are overly selective around here, unless you're a lobbyist, congressman, senator or in the CIA.

Draft saved Draft deleted